Potterton Puma 80 E parts problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I have a Potterton which has recently stopped working. I called out British Gas who are responsible for maintaining it and they have said that I need a new heat exchanger. Trouble is they don't make it any more. The part number they gave me is 03/10/18262. A call to Potterton confirms that the part is no longer made. A few places online claim that 03/10/22254 is the replacement part for the part i require but Potterton weren't able to confirm this and claim that this is no longer being made either.

Can anyone suggest anything or is it just a matter of sucking it up and buying a new boiler?

Sponsored Links
In general,
if anyone can supply you the specifications for the original heat exchanger you may be able to find a replacement that is thermally and physically compatible.
Not looking good, though. . .

How about repair?

in BGs terms and conditions if they can not source it direct from their preferred suppliers or the manufacturer then it is obsolete so even if you can source one elsewhere then they still do not have to get one from there, even if you find one this boiler is not worth repairing to be honest, bite the bullet and put something decent in

Sponsored Links
In general,
if anyone can supply you the specifications for the original heat exchanger you may be able to find a replacement that is thermally and physically compatible.

How about repair?

Porque, you can't just go and make parts like that here.

The list price for this part is £745 - #8929254. Can't tell at this time if it is available.

Almost certainly not worth the effort though for this boiler.

The thing is - i have boiler care so any part required will be at the expense of British Gas. I'd rather this ones keeps chugging along rather than having to fork out of my own pocket for a replacement boiler. After all thats why i have been paying the BG premium all these years.

How will i be able to tell if that part is available/still being made? It looks to be a different part number than the one British Gas gave me.

After all thats why i have been paying the BG premium all these years.

No, you have been paying the premium all these years because you haven't read the small print and fell for all the hype.

The part number i gave you was Pottertons.

BG will have their own.

The magic phrase you'll hear from their phone monkeys will be "Beyond Economical repair".

You think they are giving these contracts out for the love? :LOL:

The thing is - i have boiler care so any part required will be at the expense of British Gas. I'd rather this ones keeps chugging along rather than having to fork out of my own pocket for a replacement boiler. After all thats why i have been paying the BG premium all these years.

How will i be able to tell if that part is available/still being made? It looks to be a different part number than the one British Gas gave me.

read my earlier post agian, under your T&Cs it MUST be available via BGs suppliers or the manufacturer, if they have said it is not then they do not have to buy it from elsewhere

In general,

How about repair?

Porque, you can't just go and make parts like that here.

The list price for this part is £745 - #8929254. Can't tell at this time if it is available.

Almost certainly not worth the effort though for this boiler.
It would be difficult here, too, I suspect. I have found that, on forums, making suggestions that do not work or might not work, encourages more suggestions that do work. I guess it serves the function of a 'straw man'.

BTW, from an informal survey on a forum, over here HVAC stuff lasts 23 years, +/- about 3 years. The longest was 80 years, though probably not in a coastal environment.
My furnace is from 1982 but I mostly do my own repairs. Bryant was kind enough to send me a factory service manual.

The repair/replace decision is difficult to make and it comes up frequently.

Boilers like the Puma were good for 12 to 15 years. They were not the best made or designed.

Here in the UK we have combination boilers (like the Puma). These do hot water like your instant water heaters, but they also heat radiators.

Hi guys,

I have a Potterton which has recently stopped working. I called out British Gas who are responsible for maintaining it and they have said that I need a new heat exchanger. Trouble is they don't make it any more. The part number they gave me is 03/10/18262. A call to Potterton confirms that the part is no longer made. A few places online claim that 03/10/22254 is the replacement part for the part i require but Potterton weren't able to confirm this and claim that this is no longer being made either.

Can anyone suggest anything or is it just a matter of sucking it up and buying a new boiler?

Sent you a PM, Not sure if you have to be friends on here to recieve it.

you have already done this by contacting the manufacturer. what is wrong with the heat exchanger?

Do B.G not adopt "Beyond Economical Repair" in as much they are "promise to repair your boiler" or in your case if the part is "obsolete" there insurance partner jumps in and saves the day ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back