Potterton Puma 80

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Boiler not firing in heating or hot water mode perment piolt light fine..roomstat calling for heat...runn hot water tap her a small click from boiler but nothing...pumps runs...preassure also an issue keeps going low..checked expansion vessel its fine...any ideas???

Phoned Potterton they suspect water flow switch micro switch..maybe pcb...

any advice out there?

Sponsored Links
When the demand comes, does the fan pick up speed?

Can be pretty certain it ain't the flow switch otherwise the pilot would be knocking off.

Sponsored Links
I hope that you have not overlooked anything but my first check would be that the gas valve knob is in the correct position.

Second would be resistance of the gas valve solenoids.

Third would be that a voltage is being applied.

Tony

If it is the old style PCB ( the type that is not encased in a plastic box ) then the odds are that there are dry joints on the PCB. The terminal pins to which the cables plug onto are ( were ) prone to dry joints due to poor assembly and vibration from the leads attached to them. Re-soldering them may solve the problem.

If it is the old style PCB ( the type that is not encased in a plastic box ) then the odds are that there are dry joints on the PCB.

Well I have never seen a Puma PCB in a plastic box!

Do you have a part number?

Tony

There no power to fan the piolt light is perfect i followed the instruction to a tee...fans run fine ..Potterton say it could be the main board flow switch a mirco switch even a sensor..dont see how the flow switch would have anything to do with a permant piolt light on this boiler.

Gas council no 47-590-10

Cstomer had reported loss of presaaure and now pilot light not working a new thermocpole was fitted mont or go or so..put the presassure gauge is constlantly going up and down not maintqain presaaure but no sign of any leaks..

hi steve starting to think that even when you run for hot water demand there is no life comming from boiler does nothing..is there just 1 main board for this boiler or 2?

what wouls cause preassure to keep going up and own but no sign of leaks?...preassure gauge done..auto matic air vent done???

thank you for your time reply..

Ian

Have you checked air pressure in expansion unit with boiler drained (pressure should be about 1 bar)

I pressurize the water side to 1.5bar cold, pressure will go up when it gets hot

There are 2 boards the small one at the front is the modulation board it will be the main one that is faulty it may have scorch marks on the rear top left.

Hi steve...i did think it was main board myself as there where marks on it and it look filty....and when demand for hot water came on you here just a we click from boiler but then nothing....boiler has not be maintain and customer says it about 10 years old but cant real afford a new 1.

I was at a Baxi 105 e on friday no heating but hot water...found out it was diaphram waher pin not comming out siezed soild bit of wd40 but still suspect mirco swich as cause 2.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back