Potterton Puma 80e - Fault on CH.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Question for all the knowledgeable one's on here! Have a Puma 80e, turned on CH, boiler went thru the start-up sequence fully, fired up, then after about 30 secs it shuts down, with a sort of kettling noise coming from the pipe coming down from the heat exchanger, pump making a gurgling noise and very hot....

I assume that the overheat stat is kicking in and turning the boiler off as I leave the controls set to "On" calling for the CH. After about 7/8 minutes the boiler again goes thru the start-up sequence, relights for 30 seconds then turn's off again :(

Any Obi-one Kanobi's out there that can help me pretty please :) The DHW works fine by the way......

Cheers, in anticipation ...

Sponsored Links
try venting pump and also turn with a screwdriver if this fails remove wiring to pump and connect a multimeter to pump turn it to ohms scale and see what resistance you get look for around 335 if low like 35 replace pump

I just checked the resistance across a couple of new 6 metre head pumps and they were around 200 Ohms. I guess a 5 metre head pump would have a higher resistance, but 335 Ohms?

Sponsored Links
its almost certainly the wax capsule !! first check you havent got any dripping hot taps anywhere :confused:
then if you havent replace the wax capsule and sorted :LOL:

just below it :confused: might be wise to get someone in to change it as they are quite difficult to do :confused: no dripping taps then :cry:

the easiest way to test if it is a problem outside boiler is to turn cold water mains off to boiler using the 15mm ballofix valve :D

Hi,

Well thanks, i will have a gander at it in the morning, let you know how i get on.

Many thanks.....

gaz - curious; why do you say its hard to change the wax capsule?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back