potterton statesman 50/70 oil boiler problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
have 3yr old statesman 50/70 boiler,it is smoking v.badly(black),boiler serviced and new nozzle fitted,also new pump assembly,pump pressure reset,oil lines and filter cleaned and bled.boiler fires up ok but is running v.rich,no amount of adjustment of air damper seems to help for long.flue gas temperature is v.high.flame very vivid yellow and ragged.has anyone any ideas?

Sponsored Links
If youve had all that checked and its still burning like that its got to be a problem with the air adjustment not working correctly or a dicky moter not turning at the correct speed.

What burner is it?, what is the pump pressure? what is the CO2 reading? has the correct nozzle been fitted? H or S type.

Are you on Kerosene or Gas Oil?

Is there enough ventilation?

My guess would be you have the wrong pressure set on the pump
and maybe the wrong nossle.

Try a new nossle they can be faulty/blocked from new.

Try a small nozzle say a .60 pressure around 110psi

Check the combusion chamber are all the baffles in place.

Are there any water leaks in the combustion chamber.

Could be the air check the air adjuster is actually adjusting the air setting.

Sponsored Links
If its got a Snorkel fitted?, take it off the Flue/Burner to see if that gives you a better Flame picture/pattern

He says the pump pressure has been reset so that seems to absolve the motor.

What he does not say is who is doing this work! That seems to be the key to knowing if this is a serious DIY parts changer of if there is an OFTEC involvement.

Most of the relevant parts have been dealt with but if its like that then the only thing that I can wonder is if its just seriously sooted up?

Tony

He says its only three years old so that would lessen the chance of a corroded flue.

But it may be wrongly assembled. Perhaps this is a DIY install disaster?

The OP needs to tell us more!

Tony

If it's smoking badly it's going to need cleaning out before any attempt is made to alter anything!
If the pump pressure was set correctly then it's likely to be an air problem as suggested already - what CO2 setting did the service guy leave it at??
Who has been doing the air adjustment?
3 yr old - I wasn't aware that the Statesman was that recent a boiler...maybe I only get to see the 10year or older ones...

Sometimes DIYers buy new but outdated boilers and fit them themselves.

I was offered a pair of new boxed Trisave boilers !

Tony

If the correct nozzle is fitted, and the pump pressure is correct, then there must be a flue blockage somewhere, or if it is a riello burner fitted, has the air adjuster become detached from the screw?

Is it a Riello burner? or something else?

a .60 60 ES nozzle (personally I'd use a Delavan W nozzle on a Riello) should be set @110psi (as suggested by DCawkwell) and air setting is suggested @ 2.4 according to MI's - but you really need to set up with an analyser to ensure it's running efficiently.

thanks for all replies,the boiler was installed by heating company approx 3 yrs ago but were not prepared to service it when customer asked.
i was asked(oftec reg) to look at boiler when problem arose.i cleaned all baffles and heat exchanger it was really sooted up,i found that the heat exchanger fireproof lining on base had broken up,i contacted potterton who said that heatchanger now obsolete and so could not supply replacement,suggested repairing cracks with fire cement.
i then changed nozzle,checked and cleaned fuel filters and bled tiger loop pipes to pump,no debris in oil.(kerosene).checked pump pressure 105,
burner is riello 3 RDB1.air damper setting should be 2.4.
ran boiler fired up fine but still running rich set damper at 3.0 CO2 12.5%
but not consistant,but flue gas temp was way too high @ 240.
managed to get flue temp down to about 195.
about 3 weeks later it started to smoke badly again,so i changed pump and checked and cleaned nozzle,set up pressure but had to run to star with with damper wide open at 7.0 to stop smoke, i then gradually reduced to 3.5,no smoke but co2 at 5.5% and flue temp v.high again.flue gas analyser readings are very erratic,depending on length of run time.
it was suggested by another engineer poss cracked heat exchanger,would appreciate any ideas as i not come across this problem before

thanks for all replies,the boiler was installed by heating company approx 3 yrs ago but were not prepared to service it when customer asked.
i was asked(oftec reg) to look at boiler when problem arose.i cleaned all baffles and heat exchanger it was really sooted up,i found that the heat exchanger fireproof lining on base had broken up,i contacted potterton who said that heatchanger now obsolete and so could not supply replacement,suggested repairing cracks with fire cement.
i then changed nozzle,checked and cleaned fuel filters and bled tiger loop pipes to pump,no debris in oil.(kerosene).checked pump pressure 105,
burner is riello 3 RDB1.air damper setting should be 2.4.
ran boiler fired up fine but still running rich set damper at 3.0 CO2 12.5%
but not consistant,but flue gas temp was way too high @ 240.
managed to get flue temp down to about 195.
about 3 weeks later it started to smoke badly again,so i changed pump and checked and cleaned nozzle,set up pressure but had to run to star with with damper wide open at 7.0 to stop smoke, i then gradually reduced to 3.5,no smoke but co2 at 5.5% and flue temp v.high again.flue gas analyser readings are very erratic,depending on length of run time.
it was suggested by another engineer poss cracked heat exchanger,would appreciate any ideas as i not come across this problem before

Wouldnt of been better to renew the nozzle at the same time as the pump. If it were a cracked heat xchanger then it would be pouring steam out of the Flue. Sounds odd tho that your getting high flue temp with a low CO2,spose it could be steam thats lifting the Flue temp up.

Did you clean heat exchanger on return visit? it must have been sooty with a smoking boiler - even after cleaning I'd expect some black on smoke paper until soot has burned off, I'd run it for at least 20mins before attempting to put the analyser anywhere near it.

You could cut some cerraboard to patch up base lining.
I'd have changed nozzle too on return - you can't clean them.

What size nozzle have you put in?
Is it a LLD, BF or CF?
I'd concentrate on CO2 setting and smoke rather than flue temp, try setting it at 11%

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back