potterton suprema 30

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
right it keeps locking out every couple of hours but if i leave it for about 15 mins it fires up again when i press reset think it could be a thermal cut out or something along that lines

Sponsored Links
just checked the pcb and it looks knackred because it is slightly brownish around some of the resisters insteaed of the nice yellow colour it should be so it looks like me is paying £196 pounds for a new one

Or you is paying £15 for a soldering iron and some solder to resolder the pcb joints on the connectors and relays., or get a recon board (officially frowned upon) or hunt around to find a new board for less - someone said £130.

It could be that there really is a problem , say poor circulation which is making it overheat, or the temp sensor needs replacing - does it seem to work (ie turn the boiler off when turned down?). Occasionally the Hi limit stat cuts out too early & that needs changing. If the problem is predictable it's less likely to be the pcb - the other bits are cheaper!

decided to ditch the crappy potterton and get a combi boiler instead thanks for your help anyway chrisR

Sponsored Links
Stevenb I hope you have better than average luck with your combi or you'll be wishing you kept the suprima.

Breezer your Puma does have rather a lot of bits which go wrong. Baxi-Potterton's later combis, like the P Performa and B 105, have a pretty good reputation.
Once you've resoldered your pcb, learned how to clean your DHW flow switch, and diverter valve, got a cheap transformer, auto air vent and pressure relief valve as stand-by's you'll be better off. The waxstat in the DV does fail but not all that often.
Oh and a spare pilot assembly.

it still cuts out when it (the boiler) has been off and gets cold so for the time being we leave it on with stats at 23 degrees, am considering nwe one in summer, I fancied a valiant

Sticky pump causing overheat?

One thing Pumas don't do is scale up - no separate dhwhe. Matters if you're in a hard water area.
Whatever you do go for a design which has been tested properly (by the public that is - manufacturers don't bother). At the mo, unless I wanted very high DHW flow rate I'd use an Ideal condenser. Icos or Isar - can never remember!

Your Puma would have value for spares.

ChrisR said:
Sticky pump causing overheat?

One thing Pumas don't do is scale up -.
mine doesn't know that, its already had a new heat exchanger

ChrisR said:
Your Puma would have value for spares.

I will rememeber that when its time for it to go, want to put in a bid?

i was seriously going to take it apart, i want to see inside the pressure vessel, I know what it does and how it works, i just wanted to cut it open and see if it has a big diaphram or just a balloon

dont quite remember what the problem was(it was changed in the summer), we are in bedfordshire

im not getting a potterton combi (think its a worcester 24i junior) combi has more advantages than the conventional boiler, for me anyway
1.hot water on demand especially with 2 kids
2.space where the cylinder cupbord is for more storage
3.tanks removed from loft enabeling me to get it converted (cause its not that big anyway)
4.hopefully reduced gas bills :idea:

I would always advise going for a better HW flow rate - go for the 28kW one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back