Potterton SuPrima 40 problems

the constant pump could be the pcb on the boiler or possiblyb the pump timer board on the gledhill..but im not sure :oops:

Sponsored Links
the constant pump could be the pcb on the boiler or possiblyb the pump timer board on the gledhill..but im not sure :oops:

Thanks for the reply. I only ask because the trigger seemed to be the Boiler PCB change and AFAIK the Boiler sends a signal to trigger the pump (presumably the tank to heat generator pump) to ready the Boiler before igniting it. I would suspect the pump delay or driver PCBs on the Boilermate 2 had the Boiler PCB not have been changed so recently.

I've got the Boiler guy coming out tomorrow , under guarantee - of course, to check over his wiring. The new Boiler PCB required a new wiring loom, as it was a different congiguration, and that may be the problem. Does this seem a reasonable assumption?

Many thanks,
Dave

the wiring in the boiler is irrelevant. the only wiring that is important to the system operation is the switched live to the boiler and the pump live leaving it.

off the top of my head i cant remember if the pump live actually does anything on a BM system. if i get a chance later ill fire up the laptop and check.

the wiring in the boiler is irrelevant. the only wiring that is important to the system operation is the switched live to the boiler and the pump live leaving it.

Thats what I'm thinking. If the Boiler pump live is staying live for whatever reason.

off the top of my head i cant remember if the pump live actually does anything on a BM system. if i get a chance later ill fire up the laptop and check.

You're a gent, thanks. So it may be coindence after all?

Dave

Sponsored Links
I thought th BM controlled everything from its own pcb :eek:

I unfortunately have a Suprima and cra**y BM2000, the pump live is not used off the boiler.

I unfortunately have a Suprima and cra**y BM2000, the pump live is not used off the boiler.

You may be right. The manuals aren't very clear. The Suprima manual has a very clear picture of a terminal block saying mains L,N,E,S/L and pump L,N,E. I'm assuming this is the tank to boiler pump for the purpose of overrun.

I have the Heat Team repairer back tomorrow to have a look but if its not the Boiler I'll be getting out my multimeter and undertaken some signal tracing and voltage checks.

Dave

Absolutely right there Dave. The Heat Team repairer straight away said that the Gledhill controls the boiler and pump, most other systems the boiler has control of the pump. The only connection are the mains L,N,E and S/L.

He also suggested the Pump Drive PCB to be replaced and kindly said that he would 'look, see' if he can get hold of one for me. Would you recommend the Pump Drive PCB or the Delay Timer PCB?

Thanks,
Dave

Usually it is obvious which one has gone due to the buzzing from it, so I would want to inspect it before comment.

Did the heat team chap actually look at the BM for you?

Usually it is obvious which one has gone due to the buzzing from it, so I would want to inspect it before comment.

Did the heat team chap actually look at the BM for you?

No he didn't have a look. :(

I've just been up there myself and the buzzing happened briefly with the cover off at last. (The buzzing I described the other night was more like a high-pitched electronic PCB whine). It was the Pump Drive board, so I guess that solves that.

However, whilst I was up there I did notice that the pump has a 'scratching' sort of noise coming from it. Could it be the pump electrics i.e the motor? Could this have caused the Pump Drive Board failure?

Thanks,
Dave

scratching noise wil be the imminent failure of that carppy myson pump.

scratching noise wil be the imminent failure of that carppy myson pump.

So I'm really looking at a Pump Drive PCB and a Pump at the same time (just in case the pumps electrics are damaging the Pump Drive PCB)?

Dave

i doubt the pump elecs will be doing anything. the noise you are hearing is the pump struggling to turn. it will sieze up eventually.

Hmmmm....Interesting.....the policy that I had taken out for breakdown cover on the boiler arrived on the doormat today and explicitly includes water circulation pumps (not the PCB though). This means I should be able to get the water circulation pump changed due to the fact it doesn't work on the 2 and 3 positions, just leaving me the Pump Drive PCB to fund.

The only problem is that the Heat Team repairer that came last time said 'he doesn't do water circulation pumps' but Domestic & General, the underwriters, say the policy does indeed include water circulation pumps and I'm to tell Heat Team when I phone for an appontment with the reference number.

This is turning into a complete nightmare with time off work etc :(. I'll be glad when it's sorted.

Dave

<edit> Where the best/recommended source for a Pump Drive PCB please?

if the breakdown cover is for the boiler then a circulating pump on a seperate appliance is still unlikely to be covered. maybe.

I quote

"you are protected against repairs for all the following:
-Gas boiler, controls and components
-Room and cylinder thermostats
-Expansion tanks, water circulation pumps and motorised valves
-Plus there are no charges for call outs, labour or parts if the work is carried out during normal working hours."

I think I'm covered. Do you agree? and thanks again,
Dave

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back