Potterton Suprima 60L - ignores timer and overheats water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a Potterton Suprima 60L that is heating the hot water cylinder to a very high temperature, even with hot water on the external timer set to the off position (no red LED on timer to indicate it is on and CH is also off). The status LED on the boiler seems to indicate the boiler is functioning normally as it flashes green then stays continuously green until it receives a call to fire up again when the temperature falls a little. I am wondering if the cylinder thermostat is faulty but then again surely this couldn't override the timer control, could it?

Any suggestions for check, tests or further info?

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much for your reply. So the hot water two-port valve can trigger the boiler to fire up even though the HW timer is set to the off position?

Assuming it is the two port valve stuck open, could moving the A<->B lever on the side of the valve housing loosen and free up the lock? I have two valves on the pipework next to the hot water cylinder, which I thought were zone valves. Are they one and the same thing, i.e. zone valve and two-port valve?

Yes to the 2 port firing the boiler with the timer and stat off, turn off the power to the whole heating system and try to hear if the zone valve returns to the closed position, the lever on the side will be loose if the valve is jammed in the open position.

Sponsored Links
Ah fantastic! I'll give that a try. Thanks for your advice! (y) Unfortunately I can't try just now as I'm not at home but I will let you know how I get on.

Okay, so I shut off the power to the entire system and heard/watched the levers on the valves return to the off position. One seems to not go the entire way but I could be misreading this, I guess. The valve is a Drayton of some model (couldn't make out model) that has "A<->B" and an indicator that slides between each letter according to whether the valve is open or closed. When the power to the system was shut off the indicator slid just beyond half way towards A. The lever on the valve is on one end I was able to push it a little further to reach the A position. Not sure if this means it's partially working but the boiler seems to be behaving itself since letting the water cool down, sliding the more sticky valve back and forth a bit while the system was off and turning everything back on. Do you think it's just a matter of time before it causes a problems again? If so, what would be the going rate for a plumber/heating engineer to repair this type of fault?

Thanks

Once the valve starts acting up it will continue to give problems, depending on how old the valve is it might be just a case of replacing the valve head, no idea on price as too many variables.

Okay, understood. Thanks for your helpful advice - appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back