Potterton Suprima 80 Airlock

Managed to get a pic of the top of each, I assume they should be identical spec units as I'll order replacements? Wont do any harm to replace both at least I'll know the history from here on.
Will have to drain the system down again to fit three more new rads in a day or two - Im dreading the airlock scenario, but will also fit a bleed valve in place of that stop end.
Theres no way to avoid or lessen the air locking is there? Im assuming the primary circuit (HW) and heating circuit are wholly linked within the boiler and theres no way to prevent the primary draining and just work on the heating circuit? Nothing that will somehow divert/shut off/isolate the HW circuit? Im well out of my depth but just thinking aloud ... IMG_4651.jpg IMG_4653.jpg IMG_4654.jpg IMG_4658.jpg IMG_4659.jpg

Sponsored Links
The motorised valves can be manually latched open for emptying and re filling the central heating system ,which helps reduce pockets of air getting trapped.
If they are now working ok ,I wouldn't be in a hurry to change them if I were you ,it looks quite awkward !!

Ill keep an eye on it for now but thanks for all you time and advice, if it goes wrong again in theory i know where the problem is. Its a very awkward set up indeed, and been told also that the pump should be rotated through 90 degrees as its currently in upside down... and its been plumbed into the Return circuit and not the flow ... something tells me it's going to have ongoing issues but again Many thanks indeed Terry

Ill keep an eye on it for now but thanks for all you time and advice, if it goes wrong again in theory i know where the problem is. Its a very awkward set up indeed, and been told also that the pump should be rotated through 90 degrees as its currently in upside down... and its been plumbed into the Return circuit and not the flow ... something tells me it's going to have ongoing issues but again Many thanks indeed Terry
Your welcome mate ,good luck with it.

Sponsored Links
Hi Terry/anyone with a thought ...

Wondering if I can call on your experience once again - There is now a pretty continuous gurgling and sloshing of water in the flow and return pipes and pump when the boiler fires for the HW circuit. Its definitely air.
Ive connected a hose to the drain point on pipework on one side of the pump (situated directly on top of the boiler) and its just continuous (F&E tank is topping up ok)
The bleed valve on the return coil also releases air regularly albeit small amounts.
Ive bled the pump and it too emits a regular vent of air bubbles whilst running too.
Im thinking - should the pump be closer to the HWC would that help? Others have noted the pump has been fitted so as to pump on the return rather than the flow - is that a guaranteed cause?
If the Feed is moved to where the expansion Pipe is would that equalise the pressure and stop the suction of air into the system ?
A lot of questions I know ...
Its still producing HW but the noise cant be normal and the risk of damage to the pump cant be good ....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back