Potterton Suprima 50 knocking on shutdown

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently had to drain down my hot cylinder & feed/expansion tanks for minor maintenance prior to the impending replacement of the hot cylinder.

My Potterton Suprima 50 has started knocking & visibly expanding/contracting on SHUTDOWN. The primary pump is wired to the HW valve & does not overrun.

HW & CH seem to be working fine.

Any advice?

Sponsored Links
Could be boiler not dissipating excess heat at end of demand.

My Suprima manual says and to quote 'Pump MUST [their capitals] be wired back to the boiler'.

I would suggest doing this to start with.

Alan

Thanks.

I had recently done this but as it seemed to make no difference to overrun I returned to the plumbers original wiring setup.

I now suspect the reason it didn't overrun is because it didn't have to! A few days ago I turned up the boiler stat...

I am about to install a new hot cylinder & the manufacturers recommend running the boiler on max. Does this seem right?

'I had recently done this but as it seemed to make no difference to overrun I returned to the plumbers original wiring setup. '

In all probability if the boiler was wired up with the pump supplied from the wiring centre the boiler only has a live supply when there is a demand for heat from it.

The Suprima needs TWO live supplies. One permanant which supplies power to pump on over run and a switched live that is live when heat is demanded.

Without the permanant live the pump overrun will not work it will still switch off at the same time as the boiler.

What you original problem described is a boiler that is unable to get rid of the accumulated heat at the end of its burn cycle. The exact purpose of pump over-run which Potterton say should be connected.

Alan

Sponsored Links
Thanks.

Potterton have also urged me to rewire & this was done today.

I shoul jolly well think so. Is the boiler still "visibly expanding/contracting " :eek: ?

All is well. Thanks again.

I'm glad this was sorted as next week I fit an Albion Superduty CF45, which I'm told works best with the boiler set to max.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back