Potterton versus Vallant ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to have a very old central heating boiler replaced. My plumber is saying he would recommend fitting a standard Potterton boiler, as he has good experience that these are reliable, compared to a Vallant which he said were not so good. Or are they much about the same in terms of reliability etc. Or does anyone else have any other recommendataions please ? Thanks. PS I have natural gas and have ruled out a combi because of the large size of the house.

Sponsored Links
Spoken to 3 plumbers this evening and the name seem to keep cropping up is a Potterton Profile Wall Boiler.Wait & see what the plumber's guru come up with.

Also while we're on this subject,they were saying they now putting in a lower btu boiler than before when replacing the old boiler.I was under the impression that higher the btu the less work the boiler got to do? They quoting a lower btu boiler would switch on and off more plus being more economical.Any comments on this?

Must say given the choice i would fit a vaillant as I have found their after sales service good

My top choice will always be Ideal though

Also Vaillant and Ideal come with a two year warrantee

Used to fit loads of Suprimas (as you can see from the forum their PCBS are a bit poo)
But no longer fit Potts at all any more

Can you still get a profile? Not very part L are they :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Thanks for the suggestions. I see Ideal mentioned quite a few times on this site. Which model would you recommend corgiman please ? I have NG and live in a 4 bed house. The boiler will be sited in the kitchen, and I need independent 7 day timers for CH and water. Cheers.

Sponsored Links
I am fitting the Ideal Icos 30-100 Condensing System at the moment and think they are brill

Fit mainly Valliants.Good after sales.Good product.
As for sizing modern condensers should be sized smaller and worked harder.
Boiler should be sized as per Part L.Non condensing like the Potterton profile should only be fitted if the installation can be exempted from building regs.

Fit mainly Valliants.Good after sales.Good product.
As for sizing modern condensers should be sized smaller and worked harder.
Boiler should be sized as per Part L.Non condensing like the Potterton profile should only be fitted if the installation can be exempted from building regs.

How do you work a boiler harder if you have fitted a 24 kW combi in a two bathroom house ???

Did you get all the CC seals replaced on the recall?

Haven't you had any of the jubilee clips of the rubber hoses fail yet?

Tony

Bet ya corgiman is really busy just now . replacing all those brill Icos`s bet he is wishing he never made that comment. :LOL: :LOL:
Said it before and will say it again people say how good valiant are then go on to mention the excellent after service if the boiler was that good they would not have a clue how good the after service was.

We had a new installer join late last year, always fitted Ideal and Potty. had a Potty at home.

My company do quite a few Vaillants, so he has now some experience of them. Guess which boiler he fitted last week in his own house?

No boiler is perfect, but an ecoTEC combi is the closest to perfection at a reasonable price point.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back