Pouring Concrete Hearth For Wood Burner

Not really, you still need part J and distances between combustible sources.

Op is installing a free standing stove.

View attachment 136989

Not talking about distance between combustibles, discussion is regarding differences between stoves fitted in fireplace recess and free standing where there are different rules.
OP hasnt said stove is free standing but this looks like in fireplace??....

If you need to extend the depth of the hearth over the current floorboards then I was thinking that the cement board would give a base area that can be cut to size and even notched so you can get it all the way into the fireplace opening

Sponsored Links
The OP still needs to study the relevant sections of Part J. For example 2.28 says:

"Combustible material placed on or beside a constructional hearth should not extend under a superimposed hearth by more than 25mm or to closer than 150mm measured horizontally to the appliance."

bearing in mind that a superimpose hearth is not an alternative to a constructional hearth - it's something laid on a constructional hearth, and that may extend beyond it, subject to the above.

If the existing hearth doesn't comply, then I'd strongly look at ripping it out completely and going for a stove that does not require a functional one. I have a couple of 15mm slate slabs for mine as my stove is certified not to raise the hearth temp above 100°C. So it only requires a 12mm non-combustible barrier to meet Part J

In my experience most hearths are fairly cool beneath stoves. Something to do with heat rising ;)

Sponsored Links
Yes but not all stoves are certified.
wood_burning_stove_4.jpg

In my experience most hearths are fairly cool beneath stoves. Something to do with heat rising ;)
I went all mad with mine and laid quarry tiles with that expensive viticas tile adhesive and grout. Boasts up to 1000 degrees or something daft. After an entire evening of burning, the hearth is mildly warm to the touch directly under the stove. Money well spent:whistle:

Is my interpretation of this correct?
If stove meets a) then this over rides c) regardless of where you install it?

Thanks

Graeme
Its always been my understanding that if a stove is in a recess It needs a properly constucted hearth which in my muddled mind would safegaurd any future occupant who installed a different appliance not complying with the maximum temperature rule?
litl

Last edited:
The problem is, older houses don’t have compliant hearths, so it can be a lot of work extending the existing hearth.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back