pouring concrete pad stones

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will be pouring a number of concrete pad stones in situ

These pad stones will be according to the building inspectors spec, however, what is the best way to do it, make the pad stones at perfect height so they will take the RSJ and are at the perfect height, or do I make them about 10mm lower and pack the RSJ with a dry mixture of cement, so it will sit at the perfect height (also knowing that concrete shrinks when drying therefore achieving the perfect height is difficult)

Your help/comments are appreciated

Sponsored Links
You put your shuttering at the bearing height required, and level the concrete off

Why are you going through this palaver, instead of just building the pads in solid blues, cut lintels or buying some padstones for a few quid - less than the time and cost of shuttering?

By pouring the pad, there will be a better weight distribution over the existing bricks,

:eek:

Really?

Better load distribution than a fully bedded padstone, and so much better to warrant the messing about?

Perhaps not so better if you don't get all the air out though, or if the bearing face shears

Sponsored Links
I like your motivational thinking, and would like to subscribe to your newsletter

I wonder if there are any implications of a padstone bearing on only half the width of a block rather than spread over the full width?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back