Power cables next to central heating pipes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I just just moved to a new house and the pipes for the central heating run along by the skirting under where my TV is on the wall.

I have a TV cabinet underneath with an extension lead behind it with TV, Xbox, sky box etc...

Is this dangerous or could it cause any issues with tripping the fuse?

I have some off cuts of MDF. Would it be worth boxing the pipe in behind the TV cabinet or is there a better solution? Tia

Sponsored Links
It is always preference to keep cables away from any heat source where possible. Regarding extension lead, many sorts and lengths, never use with the cable wound up, and ensure it is powerful enough for what you are running (they are different ratings) although modern TV and equipment should be pretty low powered. Check it all in terms of power ratings, but make sure the extension is not wound up.

It is always preference to keep cables away from any heat source where possible. Regarding extension lead, many sorts and lengths, never use with the cable wound up, and ensure it is powerful enough for what you are running (they are different ratings) although modern TV and equipment should be pretty low powered. Check it all in terms of power ratings, but make sure the extension is not wound up.

Thanks, I put a bit of mdf down the back just to help keep them from directly touching. The extension lead is not wound up, but a bit bunched up. I am going to try and tidy it up a bit.

Sponsored Links
Oddly untidy is often best for extension leads, most flex rated 60°C but your unlikely to be drawing maximum current, so unlikely a problem, but extension leads should be in free air to allow cooling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back