Power dipping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone offer me some advice please ? For a good few months now we've had an issue with the power dipping to the entire house during certain times of day although sometimes completely random.

Most of the time in the evening when we power on the cooker or kettle all the lights starts to dim and flicker and it has been gradually getting worse.

I'd assumed something must be loose somewhere so I've been checking all the lights and sockets for loose wiring but have found none.

An electrician checked all the wiring in our Fuse box and said it all looked fine and couldnt find any fault with it.

When it starts it can last up to about a minute and whilst dipping I've tried turning off the different switches on the fuse box to isolate the different circuits but it makes no difference.

Does this sound like an issue with the supply itself or am I still looking at some wiring in the house that is causing the issue ?

I'm on the verge of calling someone out but I'd like to know what its likley to be before I do.

Thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
I would say it's an issue with the supply, we have experienced similar due to a faulty cable down the road, which was 'arcing'

Wotan

Sponsored Links
did it happen when it was raining ??:eek:
we had a cable in the street that would randomly get wet and arc for a few seconds till the water evaporated or a bit longer till the arc caused a mini explosion and blow the water out

this would happen 2 or 3 times a year untill the phase burnt its self out
at least this allowed us to run an extension from next door for the fridge/freezer tv and microwave

have you asked the people around you iff they are having the same troubles

Haven't spoken to the neighbors yet, that will be my next job.

Cheers

remember to ask several in case the ones you ask are on a different phase[choice off 3] so not having the same problem

..........this allowed us to run an extension from next door for the fridge/freezer tv and microwave.....

Be very, very careful doing this! You are importing your neighbours earth into your installation ... their equipotential zone may not be at the same potential as yours (say you have a TT earth & they have TNS then there may be several volts between the two earth systems). Also, large currents can flow trying to equalise the two potentials.... especially since you are doing this when there is a fault on the system!

whilst i fully agree
the only conflict i can see is the metal sink but as we both share the same water supply[one stopcock] the earthing should continue as theres no connection to my electrics in any shape or form just the four plugs into the extension[total 1.6kw]fully unwound
any way they sorted it out about 3 years ago :D

whilst i fully agree the only conflict i can see is the metal sink but as we both share the same water supply[one stopcock]

And AdrianUK said
(say you have a TT earth & they have TNS then there may be several volts between the two earth systems). Also, large currents can flow trying to equalise the two potentials.... especially since you are doing this when there is a fault on the system!

The two water supplies will need to be electrically separated from each other by at least a meter length of non conductive plastic pipe and the metal pipes in each house bonded to the electrical earth of that house's electrical supply.

If a network fault severs the neutral in the main cable along the street then extremely large currents can flow along any metal linking the earths in premises either side of the break in the street cable. The earth connection, such as a common metallic water pipe between the two premises is then carrying the neutral current for all premises on one side of the break in the neutral. Non of the protective devices in the premises have any means to prevent that current flowing.

While the chances of a break in the neutral are very small avoidance of any link between earths in different premises with PME ( TN-c-s ) supplies is a very sensible precuation.

The introduction of PME and similar has meant that "earth" in the electrical system is no longer earth as in ground and one has to be aware and make allowances for that,

funny enough the water supplies are now both seperate but not in an electrical sense so my mains comes from the street via next doors through the kitchen through the wall and appears somewhere under the upstairs floor on my side

his water is now from the street in poly pipe

Just been round to 5 neighbors and none have a problem, guess its time to get a spark out to check everything over. Thanks for all the advice

It still could be the DNO Cutout going U/S sometimes on older versions this can be accompanied by a burning smell......Get them out to check it over anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back