2007 astra dipped beam light blown now not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all happy new year xx
my daughter has a 2007 astra estate and the driver side dipped beam blew and i have replaced the bulb but the light is still not working. ive tested the wires and no power to the light,, and cant find a fuse that covers it can anyone shed some light on this for me please it has a fuse box in the boot and one under the bonnet but none show as the headlight dip beam thanks bazz i bought a haynes manual but still no fuse showing for the dipped beam

Sponsored Links
If there isn't a fuse you may well have a wiring failure, I had this happen on my 406 and had to fit a relay energised from the other lamp. But first do a few checks, with the light on connect a voltmeter between the bulb centre contact and earth with the bulb in situ, you should have 12 volts, if you do check from the metal part of the bulb to earth, you should have 0 volts, if you have 12v the earth connection is open circuit, if you have 12v on the centre contact and 0v on the metal the bulb is faulty. No volts at all = a wiring fault.

Peter

Fuse 6 dipped beam right. Also headlight range adjustment so that will give you a good clue.

It's a twin filament bulb isn't it - does main beam work?

Box by driver's knees I think.

thanks for your reply as for the bulb it is single element H7 and the main beem is H1 the headlight leveling works ok on both sides but no power to the driver side dipped beam their is no fuse box in the front it is in the boot and one in the engine compartment thanks bazz

Sponsored Links
No burning or bad conectors looks like new inside looks like i will have to take the bumper off to take the light out and trace the wires back as they are set inside the light housing thanks bazz

Oh, teriffic :eek: Was the original bulb actually blown then - or has this fault started elsewhere?
I've never come across a blown bulb that popped a fuse, personally.
John :)

yes john the bulb was black as the ace of spades sad isnt it to replace a bulb these days you have to strip the car down i have a vw sharan and had to take the filter box housing off to put a new side light bulb in so i fitted an L-E-D bulb in 50.000 hours life on them sad state of affairs :evil: thanks bazz feel so sad for older folk that have to go to the garage for bulb change

Sorry for my duff advice earlier on as I got confused with my car, Astra G, with yours which is an Astra H.

My first thoughts were CAN BUS as the H unfortunately uses this system. Google seems to suggest the CAN is shutting down the power supply to prevent system damage. Are you using the proper replacement bulb/bulb type and of the correct wattage? Seems this is the main reason - try the VX forum, that's where I go when I need advice.

Julian

Before you go stripping, can you connect the bulb and give it an independent ground/earth wire to the chassis to see if you still have voltage across the bulb?
Voltage at the bulb connection may not be able to drive the bulb, so the voltage drops when the bulb is connected.

And you doubled check for a fuse blown or just loose because of the blown bulb?
Hope this helps ............

SORTED AT LAST the bulb plastic conector that plugs in to the spade ends on the bulb had burnt out and not making contact with the bulb but you could not see it as it was incased in plastic housing but sorted now thanks to you all for taking the time to help regards bazz xx daughter happy now :p

Sponsored Links
Back