Toyota Avensis dipped Beam failure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
Tonight whilst returning home from Work I had to use my high Beam. Shortly after turning it off, on coming Cars started to flash me. I pulled over to find that I now only had side lights on. I have tried toggling the switch several times but my dipped Beam still isn't working. I have done a search on here for the Fuse location and it appears that the Left & Right Lamps have separate Fuses. If this is correct then the problem must be something else has both my Lights are out.
So has anybody got any idea's.
Cheers.

Bing.

Sponsored Links
A born optimist. so i'd head for the fuses and hopefully your particular year Avensis has a dedicated fuse for both low beam lights?

Or you had one bulb blown, then the other decided to join in?

So fuses, then bulb replacement with a known working unit.

Mursal, do some Models have a shared Fuse? Mine is a TT 1.8 53 Plate. I have no Manual to check the Fuse description. I thought Fuse straight away but after reading post about L & R Fuses I feared the worst.

Pop the cover off the fuses under the bonnet, hopefully you can read the legend (which fuse is which) on the inside of the cover.

Not sure to be honest, most cars have 4 dedicated fuses one for each light. 2 main beam and 2 low beam. But I think some of those Toyota's are different. So definitely worth checking.

F5 or F6 ?

Try this link for details

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=92542

Sponsored Links
Or you had one bulb blown, then the other decided to join in?
Common had this a few times with friends "both my lights stopped working", NO It was only when it went dark you noticed, as the other was out for a while

Thanks for the Link Mursal.
One of the other Posts I mentioned suggested F5 & F11 N/S Wing. Will have a look in the Morning once it's Light.
Cheers.

With the dip beam supposedly switched on, one of the connections to the bulb should show 12v+ using a multimeter.
If its a standard 2 filiament bulb, there will be 3 connections - full / dip / earth.
Then try the same test using full beam, just to get the technique.
If you get no dip voltage then its either the stalk on the steering column or a relay, I'd imagine.
John :)

Back