power flush micro bore

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Ok, I've had only half central heating for 3 years and now it's not funny so decided to sort it out and have hit a problem:

British gas wont support my heating as they say it is clogged and needs power flushing. My friend rang around to get a quote, and people say you cant power flush a micro bore system as it may leak/break.

Is there something I can do myself? like treatement I can put in, or rent a machine or something?

the heating upstairs works fine! downstairs radiators work only sometimes

hope someone can point me in the right direction

(I'm in Nottingham if anyone want to earn some money doing it!)

Thanks

Andy

Sponsored Links
We powerflush them all the time!.

Usually require a higher dose of chemical cleaner (well Kamco say you do) and connections onto 1mm plus pipework 9could be done of the pump valves for instance).

power flushing is the best way to unblock microbore pipework. Just makesure they connect to pipework 15mm or bigger as if they connect where a rad is it will only be 10mm/8mm and won't get full flow throught to flush entire system correctly. If it is a manifold system then connect before the manifold like between the pump valves etc.

It is quite rare a system leaks /breaks when powerflushing as there is not a lot of pressure. It is done by high flow rate swifting the dirt.

Sometimes you get the odd radiator valve weeping due to being turned on and off several times but im sure a good plumber should be able to sort it out. ;)

Yes microbore can be power flushed, but if it is twin entry valves it will not get all the crap out of the rads and they will need taken off and washed out with a hose.

Sponsored Links
My dad once put 11psi of air from a compressor through the heating system to flush it out - it blew the tank apart and several runs of pipe.

It did, however, shift the thousands of carcasses of wasps that had died in the tanks in the loft and clogged up all the pipework!!!!

i have cleared microbore with a foot pump before now very amusing it was too, not to mention messy

Just to add yes you can powerflush microbore

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back