POWER FLUSH OR NOT

They make a fortune from power flushing.

they dont actually.

The annual service charge whilst expensive is actually a pretty good deal if you have a system that requires constant attention so in order to even things up they push or 'advise' you get a PF done for about £600 but most 'normal' houses could replace all of the rads for that price.

what?? 10 rads plus labour plus chemical plus a lifetime guarantee to to replace those rads again if they go all black again?, you must be losing money hand over fist man.

Why would you spend £600 on old stuff when you can get new stuff for the same money?

see above, in "most cases" you cant.

Never made sense to me however they make it a condition of your contract once they get a 'sniff' of sludge that your contract is limited if you don't have a PF done.

this clearly makes you out to be a poor businessman. something almost entirely out of their control is not covered by the contract, but this makes no sense to you.

Believe they will change a rad once and 'advise' re PF and if you decline then the other rads in they system are no longer covered on the contract

you got something right at least. they will change as many rads as you need, provided the water that comes out of the rads is not in some way contributing to the demise of said rads. not only that but any water part that is subsequently damaged due to that water is also not covered. harsh isnt it :rolleyes:

****** you can buy 1400X600 DP rads with tops and sides for £45.

Even allowing for ten of those and etc your talking £500 tops ex fitting.

I know what I would rather have.

Power flushing is but a con mate.

£800 for the machine plus chemicals means you have to push it to people who don't need it.

Customers gain no real benefit from it.

I've been changing boilers for over 18 years and I never do PF and have had very little problems.

Once I did a PF for a mate after the gas board said he needed it done but guess what? The pump was phucked!

I change the rads if they really are that bad and that has only happened once or twice.

I've drained thirty year old systems and you could have used the water to make your tea however systems of that age and older were normally installed properly.

And,BTW I'm a tradesman not a business man but I have managed to remain self-employed for nearly 20 years so I must be doing something right.

:LOL:

Sponsored Links
tonybhoy said:
**** you can buy 1400X600 DP rads with tops and sides for £45.
You can a McDonalds "meal", but isn't nutritous. :rolleyes:

Some advanced calculus reveals that this would leave merely £100 for labour, inhibitor, and sundries. If you claim that you can make a living on that kind of money then you should be a politician, not a plumber.

I've been changing boilers for over 18 years and I never do PF and have had very little problems.
There are lots of installers like you - they get followed round by competent people who deal with the problems you leave behind.

Once I did a PF for a mate after the gas board said he needed it done but guess what? The pump was phucked!
More fool you for doing work without diagnosis.

I've drained thirty year old systems and you could have used the water to make your tea however systems of that age and older were normally installed properly.
Before your time then. :idea:

And,BTW I'm a tradesman not a business man but I have managed to remain self-employed for nearly 20 years so I must be doing something right.
Advertising a lot?

Spoke to an old chum of mine who works for BG on instalations, he says no way does it need a flush... reckons with my 10mm pipes the flush will do more harm than good.

He has told me to tell the BG engineer to check the cold water flow from the loft? And almost certainly demand a new pump.

BG due out before 1pm today.... hey ho!

Sponsored Links
not being funny but most of the lads who do installation for bg ant a clue wen comes to breakdowns!
i've been to house's where the entire sys is less than 5yr old and had to unblock cold feeds, change pumps, add chemicals because wen it wa installed they hadn't added inhibitor and the sys was gassin up or they've configured the cold feed and open vent incorrectly.
without seeing whats happening it would be hard for any1 to correctly diagnose what is wrong, so don't dismiss whateva he says jus because bg hav been slated by sum1 on a forum (theres alot of people who dnt like bg). if i wa you i wouldn't demand anything, id let the lad do his job and see what he suggests.
if he says it needs flushing ask him how he as determined this. if ya still not happy ask him to take the pump out and prove it. if he refuses or ya still not happy ask to speak to sum1 higher up like his tsm as your not convinced this will solve the problem.

ya neva no he might jus cum out n change it for ya :LOL:

eh, the mod's are gettin bit soft arnt they. dint swear or owt!
better rephrase the last line..

he mite jus cum out n do it for ya! :LOL:

Well as I type BG are in the airing cuboard with a blow torch on the pipe directly above the pump.... I think he is going for a pump change!

There is a brown box on the stairs as well... I reckon its a new pmp!

Power flush has not been mentioned as yet!!!!!

Pump is blue.... dont know the make yet! He said he is going to change all my valves as well.....??

Sounds like there own brand, rebadged myson, cheapest pump money can buy

**** you can buy 1400X600 DP rads with tops and sides for £45.

so its only £100 for labour, chemical and a lifetime guarantee that you will replace those rads when the system is black again? im not seeing a great deal of profit in your method.

powerflushing is not a con if it is correctly explained, quoted and carried out.

£800 for the machine plus chemicals means you have to push it to people who don't need it.

no it doesnt. thats a ridiculous statement.

never?! :eek: :LOL:

I change the rads if they really are that bad and that has only happened once or twice.

you dont see enough systems with poor water quality then. lucky man.

so have i. my old mans system is one of them. ive also drained systems that are anything between 2 and 30 years that are black as night.

lord only knows what you are doing right, judging by some of your posts you are doing plenty wrong.

Well I am impressed, the nice BG man fitted a new pump (it is blue and is a grundfos pump)!

He fitted a valve above and below the pump becasue water leaked everywhere when he took the pump out!

Heating is firing up fine for now... so fingers and toes crossed!

Thanks to EVERYONE for their input..... dont fall out about it though, life is tooooo short!

Cheers yet again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back