power in the loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we currently have a double socket in the loft which is a spur from the upstairs ring.

I've been given the green light by the missus to turn the loft into a study/den, meaning there will be a PC and related peripherals, possibly a hifi (not seperates).

the double socket is really at the wrong end of the loft for my project, and clearly I will need more than two sockets.

firstly, is ok to run all of the above gear off a spur?

secondly, can the location of the socket be changed by replacing the socket with a junction box, running cable to the other side of the loft, and relocating the socket there? then we would need an extension lead to allow us to plug all the necessary in.

or can we just run a high quality extension lead from one side of the loft to the other? (it's about 3.5m wide)

Sponsored Links
I've been given the green light by the missus to turn the loft into a study/den, meaning there will be a PC and related peripherals, possibly a hifi (not seperates).

The good news is that this kind of stuff doesn't consume huge amounts of power so you are unlikely to blow the 13amp fuse in your extension lead. On the other hand it's not particularly elegant and sooner or later somebody will trip over one of those extensions - especially if it's 3.5m long!

You should also consider future needs while you have the chance. Maybe you'll want to make a cuppa while you're up there. A 3kW kettle is just about top whack for that fuse. On top of that you might want a TV or a small fridge or even a microwave. It's all adding up.

I would treat this new space as a multi-functional room right from the start and put a ring in. (My single room loft conversion has eleven double sockets in it.) This would be best supplied from its own fuse/breaker but, depending upon floor area, you might just get away with extending the ring from the floor below. Last time I looked, a single ring could serve up to 100 sq m (others on this forum will know for sure). I would also do a quick check of the load on the existing ring.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back