Power limits of circuits/sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in an apartment building which I guess was built around 1980 and I'm wondering what the total rated power draw is for the circuits. When I was at school, I thought that I was taught that every socket could provide 3000 W but at some point I think I read that each circuit only needs to provide 3000 W or maybe it's 6000 W if it includes any double-sockets?

The consumer unit divides the sockets into two of those reset-able fuse flip switches. Would each of those be a separate ring circuit with a limit of 3000 W or 6000 W?

Sponsored Links
The consumer unit divides the sockets into two of those reset-able fuse flip switches. Would each of those be a separate ring circuit with a limit of 3000 W or 6000 W?
Probably more. Those "reset-able fuse flip switches" (Minature Circuit Breakers, "MCBs") are probably 32 A (do they have "B32" or something like that written on them?), in which case each circuit is designed to be able to provide up to about 7,360 W.

3,000 W is approximately the most you can get out of one "13 A" socket (with a 13 A fuse in the plug).

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back