Power of 1000w water pump v 400w water pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
Sorry if this seems a daft question but I have installed a 400w submersible pump in a large water tank to supply water to a hose , this means that I can use rainwater instead of via our water meter to water the garden. The water comes through a long hose at a reasonable pressure but I would have preferred it a bit stronger.
Question is... if I had used a 1000w pump would the pressure have been twice as much ?
I assume the electric forum is the correct one for this. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
but I would have preferred it a bit stronger.

Do you mean stronger flow ( how fast a bucket fills ) or stronger pressure ( roughly how high the jet from the hose pipe goes ) .

Some pumps are built for high pressure and low flow, others are built for low pressure and high flow.

Using twice as much electricity might give twice the pressure or it might give you twice as much flow at a similar pressure.

Thanks for your response. I suppose I mean pressure ? The water coming out of the end of the hose pipe when supplied by the water pump is about half as "powerful" as when supplied from an outside tap. In an ideal world I would like it to be more on that scale. I attach a photo of the pump, it is a 400w one made by kingfisher. The tank it is coming from is a 450 gallon one and so plenty of water.
s-l640.jpg

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your response. I suppose I mean pressure ? The water coming out of the end of the hose pipe when supplied by the water pump is about half as "powerful" as when supplied from an outside tap. In an ideal world I would like it to be more on that scale. I attach a photo of the pump, it is a 400w one made by kingfisher.
There are any number of makes of 'consumer' submersible pump which look just like that. All are about 400W and all claim to achieve a flow rate of 7,500-8,000 litres/hour (about 1,700 gallons/hour) - presumably when there is not too much resistance due to a long/narrow hose attached to it. You would probably have look to 'professional', and much more expensive, ones to get much better performance than that.
The tank it is coming from is a 450 gallon one and so plenty of water.
I guess that depends upon what you mean by 'plenty'. If they do what it says on the tin, one of those pumps ought to be able to empty a full 450 gallon tank in about 15 minutes. However, if, as you say, your hose is long, that will slow flow rate appreciably below that.

However, you can't have it both ways - if you used a more powerful pump and/or a larger diameter hose, water would come out of the end of it more quickly, but then you'd use up your 450 gallons more quickly :)

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back