Power Shower Broken RCD

Sponsored Links
The one at the top in the picture is seeing power in but nothing coming out
This something we really need to confirm!
It could be so and RCD is knackered or you don not have a supply to the RCD and your electrician may have erred!

all I know is he put his multi meter on the bottom two screws on the rcd and saw current but nothing coming from the top two when he did the same

all I know is he put his multi meter on the bottom two screws on the rcd and saw current but nothing coming from the top two when he did the same
Did he tell you that or did you actual see the test and meter readings, and it would have been voltage rather than current.

I only ask, because your set-up says that is illogical, unless you have other issues, which I doubt.

Sponsored Links
Did he tell you that or did you actual see the test and meter readings, and it would have been voltage rather than current.

I only ask, because your set-up says that is illogical, unless you have other issues, which I doubt.

Yep I was there and saw the results of on his tester screen.....the top was showing zero. Forget what the number was on the bottom reading but was in the 200's from what I remember. Can you explain why its not possible with my setup....trying to get my head round this whole thing.

Could be wrong here but it seems like something has stopped the voltage getting through the rcd to the top of the unit and out to the circuits upstairs. Could a fault with the shower caused something to burn out in there?

Mike your pic on page3 shows tails connected to top of RCD, look at bottom of pic you can see the neutral lead that goes to the neutral bar.

Can you switch the Rcd off/on manually, can you feel the switch latch in the on position.
Get the Rcd tested by an electrician.

ok swampy BIG update here and hope this helps you all diagnose

When I push the switch on the rcd from off to on, there is a point very near the top just under the fully up position that puts the electric back on upstairs if I hold it at that point. If I then put the switch to the very top past the point where it comes back on I get nothing again. Sounds like the RCD is faulty right

Yep I was there and saw the results of on his tester screen.....the top was showing zero. Forget what the number was on the bottom reading but was in the 200's from what I remember. Can you explain why its not possible with my setup....trying to get my head round this whole thing.
You have your incoming tails from the henley block, going to the Line and Neutral at the top of the RCD, these are red and black.
So the supply voltage would primary go to the two terminals at the top of the RCD, so providing you had a power supply, you would/should get a reading of around 240V between those two point and between Line and Earth.
If you have a faulty isolator that is not closing, you should be getting a reading near 0V between at the lower terminals points, it could be possible that you get a reading of 240V between Line and Earth but this would depend on what fault you have on the isolator and if one (Line) pole is closing and the other is (neutral) is not.

I cannot see any reason why, unless you have incoming voltage load side, a faulty isolator and a loose connection supply side, that what you are explaining could happen.

Sounds like the Rcd is tripping.
Rcd needs to be tested in isolation, shower & lighting live & neutrals disconnected(power off), then reset Rcd.

When I push the switch on the rcd from off to on, there is a point very near the top just under the fully up position that puts the electric back on upstairs if I hold it at that point. If I then put the switch to the very top past the point where it comes back on I get nothing again. Sounds like the RCD is faulty right
But the isolation switch stays in the closed position?

If yes, do you have a means of safely testing for voltage.?

But the isolation switch stays in the closed position?

If yes, do you have a means of safely testing for voltage.?

Whats the isolation switch? You mean the switch on the rcd?

Sounds like the Rcd is tripping.
Rcd needs to be tested in isolation, shower & lighting live & neutrals disconnected(power off), then reset Rcd.

It will stay in the up position without tripping though, that's the bit that's throwing me at the moment, but as soon as I move the switch on the rcd just under the top position and hold it there the power comes back

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back