power shower / flow rate concerns.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Im not a plumber so please dont shoot me down, just after some information...

I have had a stuart turner 3bar pump fitted, and have had a new shower (bristan artisan thermostatic) put in (it isnt operational yet, grouting needs finishing!).
My question relates to my concern about the flow rate and shower tray. I have bought a Roman Neo shower which comes with its own low-level shower tray. The shower tray is rated at 18ltrs/min flow rate.

Will my 3bar pump / shower provide too much water for the shower tray to cope with ? (ie. more than 18ltrs/min flow rate)

If so, what are my options ?

many thanks
will

Sponsored Links
You sure you mean 18ltrs/min flow rate ? So what happens if you put less than 18 ltrs per min in it ?
I'm sure someone on here will be able to tell you what ltrs per min 3 bar will give you but just a little info; a gravity fed shower at 1 mtr head gives 0.1 bar and that is roughly 5 ltrs per min (so 3 bar is 30 times that) ! But surely it is also dependant upon the shower head, the less restrictive the head the less output !

The flow through the shower unit when it is supplied by a 3 bar pump will be quoted by the shower unit manufacturer. That would be the maximum that can flow through your shower unit. However you dont have to shower at the maximum rate all the time. If your shower tray is filling up because you are showering at too high a flow rate, you should be able to turn down the flow. 18 litres per minute is pretty good flow. Just think how many minutes you have at that rate before your tank empties! Not just the cold tank, but your hot tank.

hi guys

thanks for the input. :D

i have spoken to the shower manufacturer (roman showers) as they also make the low level tray. it seems that this will all boil down to my waste / outflow pipe / angle of pipe. the shower tray waste is tested for 18ltrs/min using a 1.5" outflow pipe.

what threw me was when I phoned Bristan earlier a woman told me that I would need to buy a flow restrictor -- this concerned me as I bought a 3bar pump for the purpose of having a decent shower !

ive got a fitter from the manufacturer coming out next week now, so all should hopefully be resolved then.

thanks again !

Sponsored Links
1.5" (42mm) is min standard for baths and showers and that is what your shower drain connector will be. If you have a drain run of over 2 mtrs it should go into a 50mm pipe. However, if you using a shallow trap I suspect there is not much run off angle for first mtr or so, so you could always take your 42mm trap output and go straight into a 50mm pipe (through a 50 to 42mm reducer) to help the drain off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back