too much pressure and flow from 3bar pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I've recently installed a stuart turner Monsoon Standard 3.0 bar Twin pump to boost my shower. The pump is good, in fact it's too good. The pressure / flow rate is just too much for our small bathroom.

Presumably if I swap the 3bar pump (and lose money in the process) for a 2bar pump this reduce the force that the water comes out of the shower by 33%

Will the 2 bar pump have a lower flow rate? at the moment the 3 bar pump fills the bath tub very quickly.

any advice most welcome
thank you

Sponsored Links
If the problem is only the shower then I dont see why you should not fit two pressure reducing valves on the feeds to the shower.

One might ask why you decided to fit a three bar pump?

Tony

Pressure or flow?

They are two completely different entities.

Mr. W.

Pressure or flow?

They are two completely different entities.

Mr. W.

yes,

Pressure is too high, so i should simply swap the pump for a lower pressure model, or fit a reduction valve. I'd rather have the correct pump. lesson learnt 3 bar is too much for a normal shower.

as for flow, it must be moving 15 - 20 litres per minute possibly more. seems silly to use this much water, will one of those small reducing vales in the show hose help? are they ok for pumped showers?

Sponsored Links
If you decide to fit pressure reducing valves, you'll have to wind them down more than you expect - although you have three bar pump, because of the way they work if it's putting out 20 litres per minute it's only actually running at two bar. A two bar pump would be running at about 1.5 bar when delivering 20l/min. The reducing valves you put in the hoses might help, failing that you'll need to change the pump or put something on your supply pipes to the shower.

Forgive the no doubt stupid question, but doesn't your shower mixer have a flow control dial? Can't you just turn it down?

Just a word of warning to the original poster.

If you go from a 3 bar to a 2 bar pump, you will not get a 33% reduction in force. The force you find uncomfortable is the speed at which the water pelts you.

So if you dropped the pressure from 3bar to 2 bar, the velocity drop would only be ~18%, Pressure = 0.5 x density x Velocity^2

Apologies for the maths.

Forgive the no doubt stupid question, but doesn't your shower mixer have a flow control dial? Can't you just turn it down?

ha, I wish!

chartered engineer, would a 1.5bar pump be better then? Based on what your post I guess so as 18% reduction does not sound very much

as above, get a bigger shower head, enjoy the nice flow you have. My shower comes out at 22 l/min, cushty :D

nb: no polar bears were harmed or injured in the making of this shower.

You can just change the shower head.
There are many now designed for about 3 bar which supply only about 10 litres/minute but introduce air into the flow which sort of makes it more volume.
The Grohe Raindance is a good one.
I have a 4.5 bar pump which fills the bath at >30l/min. The shower, I just turn down a bit ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back