Power shower pump outlet supply pipes.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Can anyone advise on the route that power shower pump outlet supplies can be run ?
I am going to fit / locate a power shower pump in the cylinder cupboard, which is in an ideal location for the cold water tank supply to drop down and the hot supply to be taken from the cylinder via a York flange.
But the shower is located across the hall (1.5 meters). I.e. I will either have to go down from the pump and under the floor and then up to the mixer valve OR go directly up to the attic and then drop down to the mixer valve.
Is there an issue with either dropping down from a pump outlet and then back up to the mixer OR going up from the pump and then dropping down to a mixer.
My question relates to the discharge / outlet side of the power shower pump ?
:?: Thanks
Ynusmon

Sponsored Links
Next to the HW cylinder at low level is the best place for the pump. You can run delivery pipe work either way but if you go up & over & the pipes or the shower head run any closer than 600mm to the bottom of the CWS tank there is a good chance you will be in a negative head situation & so a more expensive negative head pump will be required or the pump flow switches may not trigger. Additionally, up & over loops require venting at the highest point or the pump will eventually air lock. An Essex flange is usually the pump manufacturer’s flange of choice; run in 22mm up to the mixer valve & use a pipe bender rather than elbows if you can; isolation valves should be full flow lever type to avoid restrictions & drop in performance; take the cold water feed from the oposite end of the tank to the infeed valve. Do some research on the design of pipe routes to avoid making mistakes that will restrict the system, or in some cases, can damage your pump.

If you decide to go down & under, do not start notching the joists for pipework!

Hi Richard,
Thanks for the quick response.
That's good news, Dropping down and under. The flooring joists run in the direction of the shower room, the existing shower room supplies have already been run in between the joists.
Can the flexible hoses from the pump be bent over and down or would this change in direction be better made in copper ?
Thanks
Ynusmon :D

Flexible pump connectors can be bent a little to accommodate miss-alignment but don't bend them any more than a few degrees; it will cause noise transmition, reduce pump efficiency & they could leak. Some pumps come with one straight & one angled flexi to allow horizontal pipe installation & in some cases angled fittings are available but always use the pump manufacturers recommended fittings not something cobbled together or your likely to invalidate the warranty. From the pump, I only ever use copper & soldered fittings; maybe old fashioned but I don’t trust plastic or even copper speedfit with just an 'O' ring seal in the long term. What pump are you fitting?

Sponsored Links
Hi Richard,
I have not decided on a pump yet, i am still looking into it, The pump will be required to supply one shower only and not at too high a pressure.
I have not decided yet on the new mixer either, I hope to make sure they are compatable ?
My existing shower is a MIRA mixer (very old) with a head of approx 2 meters, it just about does the job.
Thanks
Ynusmon

I would avoid the budget pumps normally on offer in the DIY sheds; I would also recomend a minimum 2 bar; flow rate is just as important as pressure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back