Power Shower, tingling (current?) in pipes.

Sponsored Links
on mine that is - V ~ 600.

you need to put the probes between the shower and the bath, or just try anything to anything.

thanks, I'll have a proper go at this and report any findings.

Meanwhile....

Electricity seeks the fastest way to earth, right? - and that is via me when in the water stream and standing in a pool of water in the bath.

While in that situation, I took the multimeter in the shower and whacked the dial around until some numbers showed (but this is where I am rubbish, I can't remember what the dial was set to) notwithstanding, red probe on my thigh and black probe on the copper pipe made some numbers appear in the display (and probe tingled against leg).

I get out of water stream and not in puddle - (still in bath) probe to leg, probe to pipe - 0.00 in display.

Then I get out of the bath (still wet), standing on the floor with water running on me and I touch pipes - all is ok, no tingle - apply multimeter to all combinations of pipe -> bath -> me - 0.00 in display.

dirty girl, pooh, you smell :)

and that is after having taken a shower ....

I know electricity is dangerous and yes I am literally taking my life into my own hands, but applying a risk based approach - the fuse has not tripped, I am still alive and the amount of tingle is in direct proportion to my proximity to the pipes and the amount of water.

@ricicle - I am not a troll. I am real with a real electric power shower problem but also have a sense of humour. If you think I am a troll then please do come around and test this out yourself - you will soon realize I am telling the truth.

ok to be fair, if your not a troll your pretty stupid to still be using the shower, esp as you have a bath.

I'd like to see a picture of you in the shower testing, it might even make the front cover of Electrical Contractors monthly :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Hi Angel (or greeny4 or Mr. cockburn or,,,)

enough of this sillyness about risk based lunacy and so on. There have been enough electricians tell you in certain terms that you may be in mortal danger from using the shower as it is.

Your life, your choice ;)

Just to keep this thread amusing, could you post some photos of your testing methods, please :cool:

I don't want to look at this thread any more.

Maybe it is a troll, and maybe it is a silly person with no understanding of danger to life and incapable of taking good advice.

....applying a risk based approach - the fuse has not tripped, I am still alive and the amount of tingle is in direct proportion to my proximity to the pipes and the amount of water.....
Everyone is still alive, until they aren't. Then they stop posting. No-one ever comes on here and says "I did this foolish and dangerous thing, and it killed me." This is called "survivor bias"

Hi John,

Ill keep checking this thread occasionally, just to see if angel can prove she is not a troll by posting a photo of a naked woman in a shower whilst holding multimeter probes to her thigh and shower fitments.

Any thing less must surely mean she is a troll.

Somehow, I doubt the photos will appear ;)

Can't believe this thread! Tingling means stop bloody using! You will get hurt! Never heard of anyone testing faults by the amount of tingling. A tingle is an electric shock, you may be lucky and it won't get worse, or you may be unlucky and die!

Electricity seeks the fastest way to earth, right? - and that is via me when in the water stream and standing in a pool of water in the bath.

WRONG

Electricity seeks to return to where it came from be that source a battery or the power supply transformer in the substation.

Most mains electricity returns along the neutral wires, ( if it didn't lamps connected to only live and neutral wouldn't light up ) but the neutral is almost always connected to earth at the substation so the earth is just another way home for the electricity.

So far you appear to have been extremely lucky that you have not experienced enough electrical shock to cause you injury. It may not be a fatal shock that kills you. The big tingle might make you lose your balance, fall cracking you head open on something which results in unconciousness and possible drowning. Or you may just bleed to death, or you may be unable to move and starve to death before someone finds you missing.

Or you may be brain damaged for the rest of your life.

This morning I used the bath.

I did ask in a previous post if anyone knew of a certified electrician in the SG3 area - no-one came forward.

I've been on to Building Regs (WelHat council) and they told me that one electrician cannot certify someone elses work - so get the original plumber back out.
I txt him yesterday and asked by when he would come and also for part p cert.
Nil back.

Am I real and not a troll.. OK - If I can work out how to get photos on here from the iPhone then I will put some up (but not of me in the shower, that would be wrong!)

I did ask in a previous post if anyone knew of a certified electrician in the SG3 area - no-one came forward.
Start here.

http://www.competentperson.co.uk/search.asp
Am I real and not a troll.. OK - If I can work out how to get photos on here from the iPhone then I will put some up (but not of me in the shower, that would be wrong!)
Stop messing about as you have been for 10 days now. Either get the plumber back or get an electrician - we cannot help you here because we cannot do the appropriate tests. You have had more than enough advice on what not to do and yet you continue have baths and showers - to me that makes you a Troll whether you are real or not.

I've been on to Building Regs (WelHat council) and they told me that one electrician cannot certify someone elses work
That is true, but the issue here isn't one of certification, or the original installer. You need someone to identify the fault(s) and rectify them.

The problem may be the shower, or it could be something else, or a combination of various issues.
The RCD not tripping proves nothing - it could be broken, incorrectly fitted, or not covering the defective circuit(s).

The correct action is the same as it was 10 days ago - get a competent electrician to identify and repair the faults. That means TODAY, not tomorrow or next week.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back