power socketss

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i want to lower the sockets in the kitchen. but to not have enough wire what is the best way to extend to wiring

Sponsored Links
thanks i want to remove the old sockets to install the new ones the new sockets are going to be aprox 4 inches lower hence the shortage in wire

make the cables longer by crimping them and not a terminal block (if usin a terminal block then it must be accessable)

Sponsored Links
Are the sockets on the ring or are they spurs? (How many cables are there?)

It'd obviously be best to replace the whole cable, but if thats not practiable, you can use crimped connnectors, within a suitable enclosure, hidden in the wall, or in the existing box with a blanking plate.

ruffy said:
i want to lower the sockets in the kitchen. but to not have enough wire what is the best way to extend to wiring
The best way is to buy more cable and replace the short ones entirely.

ban-all-sheds said:
ruffy said:
The best way is to buy more cable and replace the short ones entirely.
what are the dangers in using terminal blocks

There is a danger that the connections could work loose, but then all sockets and switches etc use screw terminals, so it's probably not a significant danger.

The real problem is that such joints must be accessible, so having made them, you'd have to just cover up the old socket boxes with blanking plates - you would not be allowed to permanently cover up the joints, e.g. by plastering or tiling, whereas with crimped connections you could.

BTW - if you crimp, you must use a proper ratchet crimper, not one of the cheapo squeeze'n'hope ones.

If you really covered it up, no one would know it was there so they would never object that it was a violation of regulations.

The real problem is the first one. That some day you may need to get at the terminals again. Also possibly, if you change direction at the junction, then the wall cables may no longer be in a 'safe' area immediately above or beside a visible fitting.

It is true however that a whole cable is better protected than a joined one. It is not possible for water to get inside a whole cable. Perhaps not very relevant half way up a wall, but might be if it was under the bathroom floor, under the washing machine, or anywhere downsatirs if you live in a flood area.

Damocles said:
If you really covered it up, no one would know it was there so they would never object that it was a violation of regulations.

The real problem is the first one. That some day you may need to get at the terminals again. Also possibly, if you change direction at the junction, then the wall cables may no longer be in a 'safe' area immediately above or beside a visible fitting.

It is true however that a whole cable is better protected than a joined one. It is not possible for water to get inside a whole cable. Perhaps not very relevant half way up a wall, but might be if it was under the bathroom floor, under the washing machine, or anywhere downsatirs if you live in a flood area.
thanks to all of you i am going to crimp the wires ind plaster over them so i can start tiling that im looking forward to. not

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back