Extending one of 2 double sockets (pic)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could someone please advise the best way to extend (5 feet) the right side double socket in pic.
Is this looped? if so would I need to extend both wires to the extended socket?
Thanks a humble Joiner

original.jpg

Sponsored Links
So you want to add an additional socket and leave the existing one where it is? Is that right?

That socket in the pic looks to be part of a ring main and it doesn't feed a spur anywhere else (because there's only two cables not three). You've therefore got two options Extend the ring main or add a spur (you can only add one spur per socket).

Adding a spur will be the easiest option.

Single length of 2.5mm cable, connected to the correct terminals, run to the new socket and connected to the correct terminals. You can have either a single socket or double as the spur.

It's an easy enough job and I don't think it's notifiable but if you're at all unsure of what you're doing ask more questions or seek a professional to do the work for you - one socket won't cost a huge amount.

Fred

Oh, hang on, a cable comes from above (presumably upstairs) and one cable already goes out to the right? Is there another socket to the right of this one already?

It could be a radial circuit too but as far as I know you can connect a spur to a radial too but please don't take this as gospel. Someone with proper qualifications should be along soon to advise.

Thanks for your quick reply Fred,
I have two cables coming down the wall presumably a ring?
What confused me was the cables connecting either socket, I assume this makes it a ring???
The two doubles in the pic are rarely used for anything but a lamp
If I was to add a double socket spur, would I be limited what I could run from that socket?
I need the additional for computer, printer, monitor, computer speakers etc, sorry for the lame question but if its not made of wood I struggle!

Sponsored Links
How d'ya mean the cables connecting either socket? Do you mean the fact that there's two cables connected to the back of the double socket?

There are two types of circuit - a ring and a radial.

A ring starts at the consumer unit and is like a daisy chain from the CU to the first, second, third etc sockets. The last socket in the ring then goes back to the CU so it is basically one big daisy chain. Every socket in a Ring without any spurs will have two cables in the back of it.

A radial starts in the same way. However, the last socket isn't connected back to the CU so you effectively have one line of sockets connected from one to the next until the last one. In a radial without any spurs you will also have two cables in the back of each socket EXCEPT the last socket which will just have one.

A spur off either a ring or radial will only have one cable in the back.

Fred.

I think I can see what's been done there.

Two cables come down the wall, They are probably the ring in and out. When the house was built they probably went to one socket.

Subsequently, the ring has been slightly enlarged, so it now goes into LHS socket, across to RHS socket, out of RHS socket. It is still a ring and both sockets are on a ring, neither is a spur. This is quite correct.

So you can take a spur off either of these sockets and put another double socket on the end of either or both of them. You can put a 13A load on any or all of those sockets (even though they are doubles).

If you want to have more than two new sockets, there is another easy and correct method to do it.

To verify that the cables coming down are the Ring In and Out, you can check for continuity between Red and Red, and between Black and Black, on those two cables.

p.s. if you just want to plug in your PC cluster, it is simpler to just use a multiway extension. You can get these with surge protection built in for a few pounds. PC current loads are very low.

Thanks Fred, and thanks John,
You both seem to have grasped what I was trying to say, sorry for the confusion.

Looks like I’ll just take a spur off the right side double.

Thanks again

you seem to be going to a lot of effort to extend 5' to the right why not just get an extension lead .

Also looking at your picture there seems to be a cable emerging between the two sockets or am I seeing things?

Perhaps I should have added that it’s going through a wall also.

Oh and yes the former house owner buried speaker cables into the walls!! Apparently a ham radio enthusiast.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back