power supply+ fan help

ih

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
1. About to buy new pc which will be housed in workstation with door to access the computer (so two sides will be closed and the third side will be wall and the fourth being the door) i have an option to add fan either on the side or infront! do i need this fan? if so which one (non gaming pc)
2.The pc will need minimum power 410w .It will have 550w with the pc but there is an option to upgrade to 750w (possible better make and is super silent for £20 do i upgrade? :confused:
thanking in advance

Sponsored Links
I think you will need to ensure you can get good airflow through the cabinet so adding a fan and making sure there is good air entry and exit will definitely help.

• Thanks
Reactions: ih
hi
1. About to buy new pc which will be housed in workstation with door to access the computer (so two sides will be closed and the third side will be wall and the fourth being the door) i have an option to add fan either on the side or infront! do i need this fan? if so which one (non gaming pc)
2.The pc will need minimum power 410w .It will have 550w with the pc but there is an option to upgrade to 750w (possible better make and is super silent for £20 do i upgrade? :confused:
thanking in advance

1. What is the workstation made of? Metal or wood? If it is metal, it is a pretty good heat conductor so not much of an issue there. Wood however, is a good insulator, so it make be an better to perforate some holes to allow better air flow.

2. Power supply (PSU) does not have a direct bearing to heat output. If you PC has a total 410w requirements, that is what it will draw, irrespective of the PSU wattage. The 3 major components that output heat is your CPU, graphics card and your hard-disk.

If this is a non-gaming PC, I assume that the graphic card will not draw much power and release too much heat. However, if the PC is always-on, then you run the risk of heat buildup in your cabinet, which can shorten the life-span of your components. You should monitor the heat buildup, and if necessary drill ventilation holes in the cabinet door.

• Thanks
Reactions: ih
"The 3 major components that output heat is your CPU, graphics card and your hard-disk."

Not forgetting the power supply itself. probably one of the largest producers of heat in most PCs.

Sponsored Links
"The 3 major components that output heat is your CPU, graphics card and your hard-disk."

Not forgetting the power supply itself. probably one of the largest producers of heat in most PCs.

Actually, no, it's not. They're far more efficient than they used to be.

Upgrade the power supply. 90% of hardware problems are caused by crap PSUs.

Back