Help with existing loft wiring please for new inline fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

New poster here so thank you in advance for any help.

I have been talking with a family member who is an electrician and I have a new fan that needs to be wired to a switch live from a previous bathroom light installation.

The light switch outside the bathroom is the black wire with red tape shown below.

I have found the old ceiling rose from the bathroom in the loft which seems to be powering 6 spotlights in the updated bathroom.

The thing that is stumping me is that the switch live cable from the light switch outside the room is in the loop terminal not in the live side.

IMG_3160.jpeg

I want to wire a new timer inline fan to an isolator switch outside the bathroom and have all the wiring diagrams I need.

The previous 12 volt fan was connected at the other end of the spotlights into a 12 v step down transformer which I will have to remove.

The right side of that wiring goes down into the shower fan which is now defunct. The left side flex comes from inside the false ceiling where the bathroom spotlights are housed now.

6A74D08B-BDCE-4C88-AD96-80F8B49FB433.jpeg

Any ideas how to wire the new fan isolator switch in properly once the old 12 volt fan is removed? I will have a live and neutral coming from the spot lights. I just need to work out how to take the switch live from the ceiling rose ( pictured above) which is now acting as some sort of junction box.

Any ideas?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
And the rest of the wires please.

Which I'll make a stab as being 2 reds in a connector block behind the base of the rose.

Last edited:
IMG_3140.jpeg

Thank you which wires do you need?

This is the outside bathroom light switch.

There are six spot lights in a false ceiling in the bathroom that mainly look like this

IMG_3157.jpeg

The spot light wires go into the old fan junction box on the left hand side ( couple of pictures above)

When I say junction box it is the fan one with the step down 12 volt transformer in it that feeds the defunct shower fan below.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Do you need permanent live and switched live and neutral for the new fan?

If the answer is yes: Is this black wire with white arrow
1705806748903.png
part of a twin & earth with one of the reds?
If the answer is yes: make sure the power is off and look behind the remains of the ceiling rose and find out which of the twin&earths this black arrowed
1705807101723.png
belongs to

And the rest of the wires please.

Which I'll make a stab as being 2 reds in a connector block behind the base of the rose.
I ASSUMED because some of the grey cables looked smaller, that single sheathed and insulated cable had been used for the 'extra' black wirres.

I would be wary of removing a 12v fan and changing it to mains.
Questions being, why was it 12v? did it need to be 12v in the location it is sited in? If so then it should not be replace with a mains fan,
It might or might not have been needed to ba a 12v fan.
If it did not need to be 12v then the original installer might just have felt safer with it.

I do not think the wiring questions being asked can be suitably answered here.

I would be wary of removing a 12v fan and changing it to mains.
Questions being, why was it 12v? did it need to be 12v in the location it is sited in? If so then it should not be replace with a mains fan,
Which location might that be?

It might or might not have been needed to ba a 12v fan.
If it did not need to be 12v then the original installer might just have felt safer with it.
Or just thought it did have to be 12V.

I do not think the wiring questions being asked can be suitably answered here.
No

I have been talking with a family member who is an electrician

Which location might that be?

Or just thought it did have to be 12V.

No
OK EFLI you got me on that one, It`s an inline fan so unlikey to need to be 12v anyway.
Yes they might have just thought it needed to be 12v, they might have just felt safer with 12v, it might have been a replacement re-jig of a 12v fan set up that did/did not need to be 12v anyway.

Anyway I`m awarding you the point on that one so -1 to me and +1 to you

Providing they are suitable for it.
Anyway I might be inadvertently going back a regs revision or two.
I can award another point if you like ;)

I am thinking mostly of the rules as shown on that many copied sketch where it listed what was allowed in various zones and their limits and extents and also showed a zone around a hand basin that did not actually exist but most everybody copied that sketch.
I probably have one somewhere

Do you need permanent live and switched live and neutral for the new fan?

If the answer is yes: Is this black wire with white arrowView attachment 330070 part of a twin & earth with one of the reds?
If the answer is yes: make sure the power is off and look behind the remains of the ceiling rose and find out which of the twin&earths this black arrowed View attachment 330071belongs to
Thanks yes I do need

SL
L
N

at the new fan terminals but I want to wire an isolator switch before it for cleaning etc.

My next question is do I place a new wire from the SL wire ( black with red tape) in the ceiling rose terminal to L1 in the isolator switch?

I am going to wire in a fan isolator switch into that ceiling rose if that’s the right thing to do?

I have an electrician coming tomorrow but it would be nice to get it working today and cancel him if possible. It seems fairly simple once you know where to put the wires

The wiring doesn’t seem to follow convention but it’s the same electrician that installed it so hopefully he knows what’s going on!

I’m guessing all the red cables in the ceiling rose you can place a wire into any for the L2 on an isolator switch? and the same regarding a wire going into the neutrals terminal going into N on the switch?

The spotlights have a twin and Earth feeding the defunct shower fan from one of them in guessing just disconnect that wire and the circuit will be complete and safe?

To answer the 12 volt question the old fan unit is still actually in the shower above the water head so that will need removing and replaced with a plastic duct for the inline fan which will be situated miles away in the loft.

I’ve got all the parts for the fan including insulated ducting just need to get on with it

I have an electrician coming tomorrow but it would be nice to get it working today and cancel him if possible. It seems fairly simple once you know where to put the wires
You will of course be paying his cancellation fee?

He’s a retired neighbour who’s putting his head in, I’ll pay him for his advice sure but I’m doing the job myself

I ASSUMED because some of the grey cables looked smaller, that single sheathed and insulated cable had been used for the 'extra' black wirres.
Yes and I think that is the highest possibility, there is the slightest of possibilities they are different size conductors but it doesn't seem apparent from the red and black

Hence they way I worded
... Is this black wire with white arrow ... part of a twin & earth with one of the reds?
If the answer is yes:...

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back