Power supply for combi boiler in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Going to install a combi boiler in a bathroom. Plumber has asked for a 3A fused spur to be provided. Is this OK? What are the alternatives?

Sponsored Links
Yeah thats how its done no problem there, as its in a bathroom it comes under part P, so stricktly speaking you need to get a registered part P electrician in to do it or inform you LABC and do the work yourself. If the plumbers part P registered get him to do the extra work, through seeing as though he is asking you to put the Spur in then I reackon he is not.

Incidently ANYONE if a spark puts the spur in is the plumber legally allowed to connect to it when the spark has gone? how does theis sit with the part P rules?

RobFurn said:
Yeah thats how its done no problem there, as its in a bathroom it comes under part P, so stricktly speaking you need to get a registered part P electrician in to do it or inform you LABC and do the work yourself. If the plumbers part P registered get him to do the extra work, through seeing as though he is asking you to put the Spur in then I reackon he is not.

Incidently ANYONE if a spark puts the spur in is the plumber legally allowed to connect to it when the spark has gone? how does theis sit with the part P rules?

My view is it is in a bathroom, so its notifiable. If it were in the bedroom then it wouldn't be, but it would still require as a minimum all the tests dictated on the minor works cert, and the issue of the cert to the customer. The likelihood of this happening is a different matter !

What I mean is if the spark puts the spur in, provides a Monir works Cert then clears off. The along comes the plumber fits the boiler, is he legally allowed to hook up the boiler to the spur?

Sponsored Links
RobFurn said:
What I mean is if the spark puts the spur in, provides a Monir works Cert then clears off. The along comes the plumber fits the boiler, is he legally allowed to hook up the boiler to the spur?

Not in my opinion, he is altering the installation. If he were plugging an appliance in then fine, but he has to actually wire in the appliance to the load side. Perhaps petty, but still notifiable. In effect its no different to installing a spur.

This is why more and more appliances come with a plug !

Yeah good point, how about this then the electrcian wires in a spured single socket and goes home, the plumber comes along wires a 3 pin plug to the boiler flex puts in a 3A fuse and plugs it into the socket outlet. Same thing really but is he altering the electrical installation?

Edit, then again how many sparks would wire a socket in a bathroom :cry:

CallEdsFirst said:

Hoist by your own petard, you say?

HOW ABOUT.....nah, forget it......BUT.......nope, ignore me!

You swallowed a phrase book CEF? I had to google that one :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back