The boiler, The shaver socket and the bathroom!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
We have a cupboard in our downstairs bathroom which houses a combi boiler.
An electrical feed comes into the cupboard from the kitchen next door through the wall.
The feed comes into a 3A fused switch then off to the boiler.

Can I......
Put a splitter in to the feed coming through the wall,
send one feed to the 3A fused switch and one feed to a shaver socket (in the cupboard for charging an electric toothbrush).

In reality there would be 2 plastic mounting boxes in the cupboard, one housing the shaver socket and the one right next to it housing the fused switch and the splitter.

Does this work? Is it ok?

Many thanks

chris

Sponsored Links
Do not split like you are thinking. That would be against wiring regs (spur off a spur)Connect the shaver point to the same connections that the boiler goes to (load side of the FCU)

The current on a shaver point is very small so you should be OK.

Please note: Strictly speaking this is electrical works in a bathroom so is under the auspices of Building regs Part P (see WIKI for lots of fun reading ;) ).

Hey
Yes I had thought that it would be a spur of a spur, thanks for confirming.

Sounds like a plan, will 3A (which is what the boiler manual says it should have) be ok for both boiler and shaver socket? As you say, the current is small so I guess it will be fine.

I understand that strictly it is wiring in a bathroom. Its just the way the house is built, with the boiler in a cupboard in the bathroom. One of those things that would be fine prior to Part P so I will just live with for now! Understand the need for care tho.

Thanks for your help

chris

Sponsored Links
Thanks for posting Tim, but ummm. No!
I can see how it sounds that way.
I just mean OUR kitchen is next door to OUR bathroom, both downstairs!

Doh! - must write clearer!
c

Of course, with new wiring regulation, you can have an unlimited amount of spurs off spurs off spurs as long as each one is fused accordingly

like your pomposity

I was not being pompous, as that would imply that I was being self-important, which was certainly not the case. I merely pointed out that your previous statement was incorrect. It's been acceptable for a long time to spur from a spur on a ring final (which is actually creating a radial circuit) as long as the entire circuit is fused at no more than 13A at source.

Of course, with new wiring regulation, you can have an unlimited amount of spurs off spurs off spurs as long as each one is fused accordingly

Am I missing something here?
I don't believe there is any restriction on the number 'spurs', as long as the circuit is designed properly. I recently fitted 72 FCU's rated at 3A each on a 16A radial circuit
Having said that I guess its a spur of a ring and this demonstrates again the difficulties of remote advice and diagnostics. In any case making any alteration means bringing the installation up to current regs, ie RCD in bathroom circuits etc, and yes it is in the bathroom if the cupboard is off the bathroom.

Do not split like you are thinking. That would be against wiring regs (spur off a spur) ).

well?

Are you for real? If you're going to troll the forum and post a bunch of one word replies with little or no real value to the discussion, I suggest you take it over to Plumbing. They take no prisoners and will soon put you in your place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back