Shaver socket splitters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a shaver only socket in my bathroom but have been charging a toothbrush from it for many years without any problems.
Now I would like to be able to charge two toothbrushes simultaneously or 1 brush and one shaver. I can't find any such thing as a 2-pin splitter or even extention lead. Closest I've discovered is a similar looking EU 2-pin extension lead.
1. is it safe to charge two appliances from a singe shaver socket?
2. where can I get a 2-pin splitter?
3. would the eu extansion lead (really for 13a mains devices) work ata pinch?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Badfan
1. Is it safe to charge two appliances from a single shaver socket?
No as shaver sockets is not designed to provide that much power, it may over heat.

2. Where can I get a 2-pin splitter?
Never seen one, and would be dangerous in bathroom as moves power closer to wet areas.

3. Would the EU extension lead (really for 13a mains devices) work at a pinch?
No. (at a pinch you may electrocute yourself).

Do not do what you are suggesting.

Get an electricyion to fit a second shaver socket.

Or are you using a Braun toothbrush? If yes you could have this wired into the mains and put next to your shaver socket:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07CD8M...t=&hvlocphy=1006457&hvtargid=pla-562657881266
Capture.JPG

SFK

Last edited:
If your toothbrush needs charging every day, buy a new one.

Mine lasts more than a week on a charge.

Problem, what problem?

Are you using a Braun toothbrush? If yes you could have this wired into the mains

UK electrical safety rules are quite strict, especially for devices installed in the bathroom.

There is no hint in the advert that the product is approved for UK bathroom use.

The maker's name is not shown.

Amazon is notorious for selling dangerous and illegal products.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Badfan
1. Is it safe to charge two appliances from a single shaver socket?
No as shaver sockets is not designed to provide that much power, it may over heat.

2. Where can I get a 2-pin splitter?
Never seen one, and would be dangerous in bathroom as moves power closer to wet areas.

3. Would the EU extension lead (really for 13a mains devices) work at a pinch?
No. (at a pinch you may electrocute yourself).

Are you using a Braun toothbrush? If yes you could have this wired into the mains and put next to your shaver socket:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07CD8M...t=&hvlocphy=1006457&hvtargid=pla-562657881266
View attachment 153333
SFK

I think that's a pretty straight forward reply! Think I'll just do one at a time. Thanks.

JohnD,
Very interesting and good point regarding the Approval for UK Bathroom use. It is also available at Victoria Plumbing (I know), but again no Bathroom notice. It is made by ProofVision, who in the UK also make waterproof TVs for bathrooms - so hopefully they know the rules.

However, looking at the design, I think it is the normal Braun Toothbrush charger (that is Bathroom Approved), which has been glued onto a plastic plate that has screw locations that match a DG socket. I presume that its cable has had its plug cut off and this is terminated into the mains.

By doing it in this manner they are likely to have kept the original Braun Bathroom Approval?

https://www.victorianplumbing.co.uk...HggCEmxumAVQ9B1OSshoC0j0QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

SFK

Last edited:
How strange

They'd surely need Braun's agreement.

If your toothbrush needs charging every day, buy a new one.
A bit of a waste.

Sure, you would want a longer-lived one for taking on holiday, but if you have a charger you can keep it on in the bathroom then you don't need to replace it until it won't run for 2 minutes.

Mine lasts more than a week on a charge.
So did mine.

When they were new.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back