Power switch for TV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am about to rewire the bedroom which is a ring main. I'm putting en extra socket on the wall behind the TV to hide the cables.

I want to put a switch for the TV next to the light switch, similar to whAt is in the kitchen for the washing machine etc (socket hidden underneath with 13a fused switch above work top).

I would like the TV switch to have the word 'TV' on it does anyone know where I can get such an item?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies, to be honest, my idea is simply a convenience one, the location of the 'TV switch' next to the light switch in the bedroom makes it more convenient for switching off, I like the idea of a remote system also but just worry about the 'lost remote' problem.

Having a switch next to the light switch, due to the layout of the room (not a lot of extra cabling) seems a good 'failsafe' option as the switch is conveniently next to the bedroom door and therefore always switched off when i leave the room.

Just take your chosen switch to Timsons, or somewhere. They can engrave it.

Although, I really dont know why you need to label it. You'll be the one that is using it - and you know what it is for. Unless you have lots of guests, and guests never turn anything off.

I have found turning TV off causes problems with Freeview who are continually swapping frequencies OK if using satellite box.

I checked our TV and less than 1W on standby which they should be. Only the Sky box does not comply with the 1W limit. Free to Air does it's just Sky which does not.

Although, I really dont know why you need to label it. You'll be the one that is using it - and you know what it is for. Unless you have lots of guests, and guests never turn anything off.
Yes, I guess that the OP and his family would eventually learn 'which was which', but I imagine that the reason he felt the need for labelling is probably related to:
I want to put a switch for the TV next to the light switch ...

Kind Regards, John

Theres a company called enlabel who will neatly engrave whatever text you want (within space restrictions) on a switch plate.

I think they've gone bust. I've tried to get stuff from them a few times in the last 6 months or so and can't get hold of them :cry:

Am about to rewire the bedroom which is a ring main. I'm putting en extra socket on the wall behind the TV to hide the cables.

I want to put a switch for the TV next to the light switch, similar to whAt is in the kitchen for the washing machine etc (socket hidden underneath with 13a fused switch above work top).

I would like the TV switch to have the word 'TV' on it does anyone know where I can get such an item?

Modern TVs have a remote control. doesn't yours?

Modern TVs also waste a heck of a lot of electric when left on stand by.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back