Power to garage ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a spare way on my new 17th edition dual RCD consumer unit 32 amp.

I am looking to have installed 6 double sockets , 1 single sockets and 3 lights in my garage .All will be surface mounted ?

Is there a need to have a 2 way garage unit installed or can the installation be powered from the spare way in the consumer unit . There is a 15ft drop from consumer unit to ground level and 1 metre from wall to garage which will need the SWA to be installed underground .Any ideas what SWA guessing 2.5mm Prysmian LV 3 - core black ? ....although of course I willleave to the expert .

Had a bad experience with last Electrician who tried to blind me with science so just doing a little bit of research to ensure I am not ripped off this time .

Apologies to any qualified sparkies out there not meaning to offend and I know it is a minority that tarnish the good name of the majority .Restore my faith please someone and help me to understand the potential work invloved and cost ? ( if anybody has a crystal ball lol )

Sponsored Links
Can the cable be dropped so it can enter the garage without being buried under ground? cables can be run overhead!

I would say best option would be to use 4mm SWA.
The garage will require a small garage CU. If it is at all possible to have the spare 32A MCB unprotected by RCCBs at house consumer unit, then RCD the unit within garage, that would help prevent power loss within the house. if a fault occurs within the garage.

Your wish is my command, oh Master
This can only be determined by site survey.
You need a qualified, registered electrician to do this NOTIFIABLE work.
Find one HERE

In fact, ask two or three for quotes.

You may need a small consumer unit in the garage, it can be engineered without, but six double sockets. What are you planning to put on those?
What is the likely load?

You see. A 2.5mm cable can only be fused at 20amps maximum at the house end.

And I would not put the garage on an RCD protected way on the house consumer unit, or a whoopsy in the outdoors will chop off half your house power.

But thats a step ahead.

First job:
What is the expected load in the garage? Engine hoist, lathe, Mig welder, electric shower, sauna,????
Don't laugh, those have all been asked for here.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back