power to outbuilding

Not sure what you are implying, but it is not normal to rely only on the steel braid in SWA for earthing.
Yes it absolutely is! You never cease to amaze me with the rubbish you post on here.
To be fair, even though it is compliant (provided armour Cu equivalent CSA is adequate), opinions about the desirability of this practice do vary.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Maybe. But abnormal? I think not.
I haven't undertaken any survey, but you are very probably right. I was merely pointing out that (despite what some people may have taken RF to be implying) not everyone would be 'happy' to rely on SWA armour. TBH, I suppose I come into that category - I certainly cannot recall of a situation in which I have personally relied on armour alone.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
(provided armour Cu equivalent CSA is adequate),
Does that apply to earthing - CPCs?
It means what I wrote - "adequate" (for whatever function it was serving, which might include bonding). Even when just use as a CPC, as you are aware (and as illustrated in our wiki , click here), the armour alone becomes inadequate at higher CSAs. In fact, with XPLE, the problem starts arising with 2-core 10mm².
TBH, I suppose I come into that category - I certainly cannot recall of a situation in which I have personally relied on armour alone.
You're not typical.
That's quite probably true - but it's apparent from past discussions/debates that I am not alone in being 'atypical'.

Kind Regards, John

In fact, with XPLE, the problem starts arising with 2-core 10mm².
That is only the case if using the cable at it's maximum rated load and therefore at a temperature of 90C, something which will not happen in the vast majority of cases.

It is perfectly acceptable practice to use the SWA as the earth, provided, as John said, that the CSA is adequate.

I have been installing SWA cables this way all my working life and the resultant work has been inspected and tested by various organisations, all of whom have been entirely happy that the installations were safe and compliant.

Even when just use as a CPC, as you are aware (and as illustrated in our wiki , click here), the armour alone becomes inadequate at higher CSAs. In fact, with XPLE, the problem starts arising with 2-core 10mm².
Minimum csas of cpcs can be by calculation rather than selection, so that isn't necessarily the case.

In fact, with XPLE, the problem starts arising with 2-core 10mm².
That is only the case if using the cable at it's maximum rated load and therefore at a temperature of 90C, something which will not happen in the vast majority of cases.
That's true - but I wonder how may people would (or would necessarily even know how to) work out whether the armour would be adequate as a CPC at the design load? I may be wrong, but I suspect most would just look at the tables!

Kind Regards, John

Even when just use as a CPC, as you are aware (and as illustrated in our wiki , click here), the armour alone becomes inadequate at higher CSAs. In fact, with XPLE, the problem starts arising with 2-core 10mm².
Minimum csas of cpcs can be by calculation rather than selection, so that isn't necessarily the case.
Indeed - but that goes even further than what flameport suggested (see my recent response to him). In practice, how many do you think actually undertake those calculations in the sort of situations we're talking about?

Whatever, I did not really intend to get involved in a discussion at this degree of detail. I was merely pointing out that it is not a foregone conclusion that the armour of SWA will always be adequate as a CPC, and I imagine you probably agree with that, don't you?

Kind Regards, John

It is perfectly acceptable practice to use the SWA as the earth, provided, as John said, that the CSA is adequate. ... I have been installing SWA cables this way all my working life and the resultant work has been inspected and tested by various organisations, all of whom have been entirely happy that the installations were safe and compliant.
No-one has disputed that (with adequate CSA) it is compliant, and 'safe' (at least at the time of installation). However, there are some who prefer not to rely upon it.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back