Power to the people.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was working in a house yesterday afternoon, and for the first time, I chanced using the electrics. I tried to get power from a socket in a first floor bedroom, no luck. Eventually I found that the fuse switch marked "kitchen plugs" gave me power to the aforementioned socket. I tried to get a bit of electric light as the weather deteriorated and as late afternoon came; finally I managed to throw the right switch.
Went round to the bathroom that I had been working in, and on return to the original bedroom tried to use the electric drill, alas, no power. I tried another drill in the same socket with the same result - no power. Went down to try the fuse-box, but the adjacent hall light wouldn't work. Darn it, now the light upstairs wouldn't go on again. Well the wiring did look a bit dodgy.
So I had to pack up, and in the evening decided on my next course of action.
I return this morning, step ladder, torch, assorted screwdrivers, I would find the fault.
A neighbour bid me "Good morning" and added, "a bit odd that powercut yesterday afternoon eh?"

Sponsored Links
Same thing happened to me on Saturday. I was busy fitting my new kitchen at the time. I was wiring up a double socket (with the ring turned off) when suddenly the lights went out. :evil: "Oh bother" or words to that effect "what seems to have happened now?". Went down the cellar checked for a trip none found, checked other sockets and lights no power.
Went outside to plead to all my gods and the neighbours alarm system is flashing and screaming. Just then I notice the girls from the hairdressers just down the street all standing outside having a fag. "your power gone off as well eh? its happening alll over, the system cant cope with the rain"
:rolleyes: Phew!
Try fitting a kitchen with no power tools. 1-1/2 hrs of the wife saying "Cant you do ANYTHING?" :eek:

Try fitting a kitchen with no power tools.

I take it you don't have a jumper (to make screw holes in the wall), hand brace (to make holes in wood), Pad saw, (for cutting out for sink and hob), Hand saws (for cutting down worktop and fillets), surform (to tidy up hand cut edges), sandpaper (to tidy up surformed edges) and screwdrivers with handles (so you don't need to put them into a power drill).

I don't blame you, I think I'd conveniently forget where I put them, in the event of a power cut :)

Sponsored Links
TexMex said:
Try fitting a kitchen with no power tools.

I take it you don't have a jumper (to make screw holes in the wall),

Whats wrong with a really big hammer? That usually makes nice holes in a wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back