Power USB device (Tablet) from light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to be able to quickly glance at a "noticeboard" and see the latest weather and travel, before I go out the door.

I've seen cheap tablets for £50 so I was thinking permanently fixing it to the wall near the light switch.

I could spur off the light switch with a USB (5V 5A) wall plate, via a fused spur, but that would be quite messy with exposed wires. I guess I could wire it direct to the fused spur plate? Or are there other ways? Is this a DIY do or DIY not?

Sponsored Links
Can and should are different issues, but as a start you would need to check if the switch has a neutral present as it's all academic otherwise.

^^^^^What he said^^^

Even if there is a neutral present you will have other issues:
The power supply for the tablet will post probably be a plug-in "Wall-Wart"
So that would mean that you would need a 13amp square pin socket to plug it in to.
All sockets have to be RCD protected, so that's another complication. Also you'd have a 13A-capable socket attached to the lighting circuit. Not a great plan as somebody else could plug in a high-current using device, which would blow your lighting circuit.

But this is nuts.
Surely you could plug it in to an already available power socket, in teh kitchen perhaps. Or would you be unable to remember the travel and weather situation in your walk from the kitchen to the front door? ;) :LOL:

The power supply for the tablet will post probably be a plug-in "Wall-Wart"
So that would mean that you would need a 13amp square pin socket to plug it in to.
No he won't - that's the whole point of what he wants to do, i.e. fit a USB power outlet next to the light switch.

Which AFAIK wouldn't even need fusing down - the only issue is whether there's a neutral present at the switch.

Sponsored Links
Ahh I see what was meant.

what will they think of next. Travel and weather information on a mobile phone perhaps? :LOL:

Thanks for the replies.

I can look at my phone or the tv, but there is a convenience of being near the door for me, I can pick up an umbrella or use a bike if the Tube is delayed.

Or can I take my phone out and check. Which would be good as I would remember to take my phone before leaving the house...

what will they think of next.

Counsel: This receipt is for the digital watch...
Judge: ...a digital watch? What on earth is a "digital watch"?
Counsel: Sorry m'lud. A digital watch is a watch worked by microelectronics.
Judge: Oh! How fascinating. Proceed.
Counsel: The next receipt is for an automatic video recorder...
Judge: ..."automatic video recorder"?
Counsel: Yes, I'm sorry m'lud. It's a machine that records television programmes on special tape.
Judge: Oh, how fascinating. What will they think of next? Proceed.
Counsel: Thank you m'lud. And finally, a receipt for a "deluxe model inflatable woman", whatever that is.
Judge: The Deluxe is the one with the real hair...

;) ;)

This arrangement relies on the assumption that the weather forecast and traffic reports are accurate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back