powerflush with magnaclean and hydroflow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI BG just quote me £940 for poweflush with magnaclean and hydroflow for 10 radiators. I live in Twickenham. two out of the 10 radiators are getting over 1 1/2 hours to heat up. is that a fair quote?

Sponsored Links
Try getting another quote or 2, I don't know if hydroflows do anything.
BG guarantee the system after they have powerflushed it, most others would not.

BG are very expensive try these for a quote;

http://www.pflush.com/

p.s a magnaclean is a good idea but a hydroflow isn't gonna help your radiators heat up but will prevent your hw circuits scaling up if you have hard water.

Sponsored Links
HI BG just quote me £940 for poweflush with magnaclean and hydroflow for 10 radiators. I live in Twickenham.

Bit on the high side
two out of the 10 radiators are getting over 1 1/2 hours to heat up. is that a fair quote?
Have you tried shutting off most of the others and leave the heating on for a few hours?
Could be that your pump is wearing out; if a rad is full of sludge, it stays cold regardless of how long you leave the heating on.
Test is simple. turn heating on with roomstat on max. Turn all rads of bar one. Leave for 30 minutes. Feel along the bottom of the rad, about 50 mm from the bottom, if the middle is noticeably colder than the sides, it has muck in it. Turn first rad off, and second on, and repeat process with all rads.

I understand BG have overheads but £900+ for a powerflush and magnaclean/hydro is just daylight robbery.

I understand BG have overheads but £900+ for a powerflush and magnaclean/hydro is just daylight robbery.

but how do you expect to pay for the champagne at the shareholders meeting or the Rolls Royce for the M.D?

but how do you expect to pay for the champagne at the shareholders meeting or the Rolls Royce for the M.D?

Simple.
You use an army of subcontractors on stranglehold contracts, instead of hiring sufficient direct labour. You use those guys to do most of the jobs that look like they could be difficult or timeconsuming.

Interesting Ben. . . . . perhaps they could charge extortionate rates on boiler changes too and then just sub them out anyway?

I suspect the BG top would not hesitate so much as a single second if firing all direct labour would mean bigger bonuses, and they could get away with it.
They clearly have no interest in the people that do the actual job, or in the customers; they have calculators where most people have a heart.

Many Thanks for all the replies. As suggested I will egt another two quotes.
I will post back when I have the other quotes .
Bear in mind that there is a huge difference in quality with powerflushing; lots of people don't know how to do it properly, and some that do, can't be bothered.

Hi,
british gas breakdow prices:
powerflush:(12 radiators package) £690
hydroflow: £146.62
Magnaclean:£100
Total: £937.62
total with no hydroflow£790

pflush
powerflush(12 radiators) is £540
The magnaclean is £170
total£710

expertpowerflush (5 years guarantee)
powerflush: £460
magnaclean is £150
total is £610

I have two radiators downstairs that takes ages to heat up. BG told me that a powerflush will solve this problem. I am afraid that if I use another company and save myself £180 but if the powerflush does not solve the problem, BG can blame the company that did the powerflush and I may have a cold winter ahead dealing with two companies.

What would you do?

I have two radiators downstairs that takes ages to heat up. BG told me that a powerflush will solve this problem. I am afraid that if I use another company and save myself £180 but if the powerflush does not solve the problem, BG can blame the company that did the powerflush and I may have a cold winter ahead dealing with two companies.

What would you do?

er, of course they will if that is deemed to be the fault again.

dont know about these other companies but if a BG flush fails and you are still on contract and have made reasonable attempts to put chemical into the system on a regular basis you get it flushed again free of charge, and that is for the lifetime of the system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back