Powerflush, yes or no?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been getting quotes for a new boiler. The house is 17 years old and it's the original boiler. When fitted the system had sentinel X100 added.
So far I've had 4 quotes. Two of them said you'll need a power flush as it'll invalidate the boiler warranty. One never mentioned it. And the last guy made a point of saying you don't need a powerflush as long as the system is fully drained and a Sentinel type chemical is added with the new install it'll be fine as modern boilers have a fliter.
So who is correct?

Sponsored Links
Doubt it will need a powerflush get some Sentinell x400 and stick it in the system for a week before they come to fit the new boiler, open all radiators and run the heating a few times per day then get them to add x100 once they fill the system back up after fitting the new boiler

Sponsored Links
Two of them said you'll need a power flush as it'll invalidate the boiler warranty.

Not true, the warranty is only invalidated, if the boiler is damaged by your system being choked up with debris. If your system has been properly mainted since install, there should be no debris needing to be cleaned by a power flush.

First two have lied to you .
what type of system do you have at present are you changing the type . do you have any rads with cold spots /patches on them .Has the system been drained over the past 17 years for fitting of parts /rads

First two have lied to you .
what type of system do you have at present are you changing the type . do you have any rads with cold spots /patches on them .Has the system been drained over the past 17 years for fitting of parts /rads
We've lived there for 4 years so I've no idea about the system being drained. We've never had any parts replaced that required a draining. Rads seem fine, although I've not checked them recently. It's a heat only boiler with a pressurised hot water system.

Doubt it will need a powerflush get some Sentinell x400 and stick it in the system for a week before they come to fit the new boiler, open all radiators and run the heating a few times per day then get them to add x100 once they fill the system back up after fitting the new boiler
How do i "stick it in the system"? Is this fairly easy? I'm no plumber.

Is this your 'stay-in' house for say 20 years or a stepping stone? If the former, when you choose an installer whose judgement you trust ask how much. He's there on the job, say it adds £350, over 20 years you've lost nothing and have started from a known good position rather than a maybe.

Of the latter and you'll be gone in 5 years, take a chance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back