powerflushing - what method do you use?>

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
With my old company a system flush was depended on how dirty the water inside the system was. so for an old conventional system that was sludged up a good powerflush for 4 hrs using x400 was done. Other systems had x400 put in left to circulate for a few hours on full heat then drained.

I personally dont think you can beat manually taking off radiaters and flushing them with a hose. Pain in the neck but seems to be good.

Sponsored Links
i have and use a kamco. i use x800....does the job, most of the time

There is only 1 method as far as I know and thats to flush the primary pipes 1st with all rads turned off then put 1 rad on and get an even heat then turn off and do next rad,, keep on like this till all rads have been flushed then open all rads and flush till all are an even heat..

Thats how I was told when I went on a Kamco training day ..

As far as Im concerned it cant be done in less than 4 hrs and quite often takes all day if done properly.

When installing in Ealing we were using x800 they told me that it has a halflife so doesn't require neutralising. Obviously flush it out and add x100.

as for technique put machine instead of pump etc etc. one rad at atime gate valve on dhw primary coil to prevent parallel flow route blah blah............. use your intelligence.

Sponsored Links
even though i do powerflushing and agree with gasman it is over priced and people do use it as an easy way to print money.

if the system is suffering from bad blockages etc yes a powerflush, but if the system just has the odd rad or the system is in good general condition then maybe just circulate a cleaner for a few days etc and then add an inhibitor.

Whilst I agree with all of the above and do use a Sentinel jetflush machine, I do not think powerflushing is the answer to all sludge removal in a dirty system.

You can drain a system and the water will look pretty clean, but once a cleanser is added and then the system powerflushed I am always amazed as to where the muck is found.

Even so, I would estimate that even a really good powerflush will only get a system 80-90% clean.

The other remaining crud I now leave to a Magnaclean to remove.

Whilst I agree with all of the above and do use a Sentinel jetflush machine, I do not think powerflushing is the answer to all sludge removal in a dirty system.

You can drain a system and the water will look pretty clean, but once a cleanser is added and then the system powerflushed I am always amazed as to where the muck is found.

Even so, I would estimate that even a really good powerflush will only get a system 80-90% clean.

Gotta agree with the Magnaclean :cool: and I fit them to all boiler installs ;)

there a bit bulky eh. they seems to do a good job and can be worth their weight in gold. alot better to service than a boiler buddy!

Gotta agree with the Magnaclean :cool: and I fit them to all boiler installs ;)
there a bit bulky eh. they seems to do a good job and can be worth their weight in gold.
Hm. So if a powerflush leaves 10-20% of the rust particles, and a Magnaclean doesn't attract them, then how do you get them out?

:?:

it traps black magnetite but not brown rust which is almost non-magnetic.

I always find particles when I clean em out :confused:

Cheeky bugga
palizaconsilla7eo.gif

Anyway theres no way your gonna clean the system 100% !!

I have found rust particles in the black sludge .

Damn do ya want a spot light in my face as well :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back