powerflushing - what method do you use?>

So if a powerflush leaves behind 10-20% of the rust particles, and a Magnaclean doesn't attract them, then how do you get them out?

Sponsored Links
Guys, guys guys !! Not a lot of love on this debate !! :cry:

I think that to shift the stubborn bits of rust and such, in rads at least, you can purchase a "rad Hammer", which you fit to a drill with hammer stop, and vibrate the cold spot on the offending rad.

With regard to powerflushing, as long as it shifts the majority of cr*p in the system, then this must be a good thing. You can always go back to the old way and take each rad off the wall and flush it outside with a hose....... :(

Its funny how a relatively simple question creates a thread with sooooo much condascention and animosity!! Makes me chuckle :LOL:

IMO, easier to respect other peoples advise, even if its different from yours, and as long as its good info, than to verbally abuse others. Why do you guys think that the plumbing forum has the most hits on it ? Because there are several different ways of getting the same job done...... and don't get all specific and say, " well actually there are certain things you do need to get specific on, blah blah, blah....." you know what I'm trying to say :D

Perhaps it would be quicker if softus explained how to remove the remaining 10-20% of debris in a system.

I guess from his long winded and argumentitive approach he has either no intention or an inability to do so.

I always powerflush systems with either x400 or x800 and use a combi mag aswell. Was amazed at how much quicker it was at removing the iron oxide that then allowed you to tackle more of the remainder thats left.

We will never be able to remove 100% in my opinion and to achieve 90% is acceptable. A magnaclean or similiar to help maintain the system afterwards is the best we can achieve. If you put a y strainer on the return it has the ability to stop the carp getting into the boiler but it could affect the pump if the flow becomes too restricted.

Perhaps it would be quicker if softus explained how to remove the remaining 10-20% of debris in a system.
It would be quicker, if I knew how to.

I guess from his long winded and argumentitive approach he has either no intention or an inability to do so.
I don't know, and I never implied that I know.

We will never be able to remove 100% in my opinion and to achieve 90% is acceptable.
Does this mean that you consider removal of a mere 80% to be unacceptable?

A magnaclean or similiar to help maintain the system afterwards is the best we can achieve.
A filter won't stop corrosion; only correct pipework, correct cistern water level (where applicable), and correct dosing will prevent corrosion.

If you put a y strainer on the return it has the ability to stop the carp getting into the boiler but it could affect the pump if the flow becomes too restricted.
Isn't a new pump a cheaper/quicker option then replacing corroded radiators and a blocked heat exchanger?

Sponsored Links
[Are you able to explain what my profile (which isn't private) has to do with powerflushing and the functioning of a Magnaclean?

Well, your profile shows up as private when I try to look at it!!!

Have you become so paranoid about hiding your identity that you have listed it as private?

Tony

surprises.smileysmiley.com.54.gif

yes it is

maybe not to everyone.
Maybe? Are you unsure about it?

And could you explain what my profile has to do with this question:

So if a powerflush leaves behind 10-20% of the rust particles, and a Magnaclean doesn't attract them, then how do you get them out?

where did this 20% figure come from lol. I think if there is a small amount of crud in a system...20% with the right dosage of inhibiter that '20%' wont effect how a system works

Hire one of these for the day if you want to do a really good job on powerflushing. :LOL: :LOL:

Should look very professional in your clients driveway.

PowerFlushing.jpg

where did this 20% figure come from lol.
Here lol:

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=891292#891292

gas4you believes that powerflushing won't achieve more than 80-90% removal of deposits, which means that 10-20% of them will be left inside the system.

I think if there is a small amount of crud in a system...20% with the right dosage of inhibiter that '20%' wont effect how a system works
So, what proportion of "crud" in a system will have affect how a system works?

30%? 40%? 50%?

And what proportion of "crud" in a system will negate the dose of inhibitor?

It is the mobility of the dirt that will create the problem. This is mostly in combi boilers where it can block the plate HE.

Dirt well coagualated in the bottom of a radiator which has already been properly power flushed is unlikely to cause any further problem.

There is a wide variation in the effectiveness of different powerflushing methods.

Some of my trainees have said they did power flushing previously by just connecting the pump to all the rads for a couple of hours some with and some without chemicals. PROPER powerflushing is a very energetic activity with the flow being reversed several times on each rad in turn.

Tony

I assure you that I don't do sarcasm.

Do you have anything to offer on the question of getting rust particles out?
1stly the 80-90%, in all due respect to the quo tee, is an opinion, so the question has no standing in serious discussion on the subject.

I suggest you research the question before making your point on the subject.

For the record though & the benefit of our readers, the effect of the amount left in a system will depend on many factors,, as quoted by Tony being 1 factor !!

My previous quotes were valid and very useful but you decided you needed an ego boost but made a very wrong decision in choosing ME to do so!!

People like you who hide behind a keyboard and a screen and act condescending are just trouble making wimps IMHO.
Would you be like this to someone face to face ? I doubt it unless you thought you could get away with it !!

1stly the 80-90%, in all due respect to the quo tee, is an opinion, so the question has no standing in serious discussion on the subject.
I don't know why you didn't say so at the outset, and save us all a lot of time.

I suggest you research the question before making your point on the subject.
You have the right to suggest whatever you like.

For the record though & the benefit of our readers, the effect of the amount left in a system will depend on many factors,, as quoted by Tony being 1 factor !!
It's a complete unknown then, other than the fact that Magnaclean won't remove the rust particles that aren't stuck to bits of Magnetite.

My previous quotes were valid and very useful but you decided you needed an ego boost but made a very wrong decision in choosing ME to do so!!
Au contraire - I was looking for information, and you completely failed to provide it, and you got all snotty.

I asked the question of several people, but you're the one who turned your posts into an information-free zone.

People like you who hide behind a keyboard and a screen and act condescending are just trouble making wimps IMHO.
And there it is again - the personal comment. :rolleyes:

Would you be like this to someone face to face ? I doubt it unless you thought you could get away with it !!
And there's your veiled threat again. I guess that's what makes you big and tough.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back