Powering 7 1AMP Dome cameras

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, I have 7 1 AMP cameras and was wanting to know what the cheapest method of powering them would be.

Now I have seen these power supplies from places like Screwfix, would you recommend them, individual adaptors or something else?

I am running cat5e cable to the cameras and have the ends connected to video baluns. I have 6 cores left so was wondering if i use 2 cores for positive and 2 for negative but the problem would be power source at the other end.

I was looking at this here, would this be sufficient
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/73335...2V-DC-1Amp;jsessionid=51JAXD3SUTYLICSTHZOCFFQ

or is it 1AMP times 7 i.e. the overal resulting in 7AMPS?

Any help guys, thanks

Sponsored Links
You'll need 7 of them.

That said, powering all 7 cams off one PSU, assuming they do actually take 7A would require one v expensive PSU anyway. Personally, i'd go for 3 x 3A and split it, that way youdon't lose the lot if one PSU dies.

Regarding supply to each camera, yes, double up cores in cat5 and use them for the feed.

Whatch your earths though. Any ground loops and you'll get probs.

Hey sorry not had a chance to get back online. Thanks a lot for the reoky. Just a few questons. Are your referring to 3A psu or an adaptor. If adaptor, there is one problem, if the 3 amp adaptor, thats 3 cameras unoperational which maybe temporary but still. Furthermore, these adaptors dont have fuses so you have to invest in another adaptor.

Regarding the 3A psu's. Wouldnt it be more expensive to buy 3x3A PSus compared to a single 10A PSu?

Thanks

3 x 3A psu's - proper ones.

One dies - fuse probably, you don't lose the lot.
a single psu covering all then you will lose the lot if it dies.

What about volts drop? Is distance an issue?

Sponsored Links
They arent actually branded Lectritian,

Furthermore someone else actually mentioned that they wont actually be true 1A more like 2 thirds or half that. But bare in mind they are IR so maybe why they are rated at 1A

Are you able to power 1 and measure the current it actually takes?

... I dont have a power adaptor or anything

Didn't you get power supply units with the cameras?

If you did, why not just stick with seven separate PSUs? Then if one fails, you've only lost one camera.

Or is this a 'green' choice of reducing your carbon footprint?

Even with IR the current should be around 750mA,

Personally i would recommend a power supply such as a dantech, as they have individually fused outputs for this type of application IE 8 x 1 amp.

All connections will need to be Via a spur NOT socket and with the dantech it will only require one mains input to supply.

Further more i would not recommend using the Cat5 for power as it may interfere with the picture quality.

Karl.

***Removed***

I can appreciate a 'spur' (FCU) may be a more professional way of doing it, but what would be wrong with a 13a plug?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back