Power supply question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi people
Ive purchased an ip camera that didnt come with a power supply.
It requests a 12v 1amp dc power supply and i have checked all the plugs in my house and the nearest i can find says ac-dc 12v 1.5amp.....
Will this be safe to use?
Kind regards

Sponsored Links
Yes, provided the output is properly regulated to 12v, and you connect it with the correct polarity.
1.5A is the maximum rating, not one it must be used at.

Thanks for the reply.
I was also worried about the fact that it says ac-dc on it and not just dc does that not matter then?

Those aren't plugs, BTW - they are power supplies. Often referred to as adaptors. Or wall-warts.

Anyway - it can't be AC and DC - it must be one, or the other.

If it's DC it will be fine to use, just make sure you get the polarity right or you might destroy the camera.

If it's an IP camera, is power-over-ethernet an option?

Sponsored Links
Ok I shall give it a try then.
Last question I'm unsure what is meant by polarity...the power adapter just has a 2.1mm round connector (its from a netgear router) one end and the 3 pin uk plug the other?

Polarity is which way around the supply is i.e. centre pin +ve and outer negative or vice versa. There may be a picture on it as in the 3rd post down here: http://electronics.stackexchange.co...to-tell-polarity-expected-of-a-dc-barrel-jack . You need to ensure both the PSU and camera polarities are the same.
Another thing I found with camera's is if the power supply isn't smoothed properly it can play havoc with the picture.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back