Powermax 155cp whistling noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, yes, another powemax query! My bolier has started making a high pitched whistling noise shortly after firing up from cold, this goes on for about 20 mins , then fades out and it runs normally, this problem has been covered before on this and other forums, and the problem seems to be the gas valve, air/ gas mixture. My question is this, can it be rectified by means of an adjustment screw? Numerous posts have said yes it can, with the right equipment, other have said no, the gas valve must be replaced. The heat team people from baxi/potterton will come & look at it for a fixed price of £320 all in, but that seems a little steep if all they're going to do is an adjustment to cure the whistle! The unit is 9 yrs old now, would I be better to put any repair money towards a new combi bolier to replace it. Any advice gratefully recieved. Thanks

Sponsored Links
To the BG and Heateam people.

Do they charge more just because this is a Powermax?

Why wont the BG £200 p.a. cover deal with this?

Tony

Yes in 99% of cases it can be adjusted but they will need a calabrated diffrential manometer and a tee, sometimes they don't hold adjustment and then drift, so then you need a new gv.

I wouldn't do one without a full service, and you could need baffles replaced which can contribute to the noise, you may also need the sump cleaned as they can get stuck with condensation.

Sponsored Links
If you get a heateam engineer, he will (should) replace the gas valve and set it up correcttly.

You also get 12 months warranty.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back