Powermax 155x & Hive

already said this but you need to set the HW to constantly on, the new stat will control the CH pump as long as the store is satisfied

I am certain this is not the case - I am sure of this because this is not set to constantly on with the set-up I did with Nest and is working fine now, and the hot water can be timed exactly the same as before. If you just replace the thermostat wires then it could be any thermostat connecting to the boiler, it’s still just switching live when it wants heating.

Maybe you do it differently.

Sponsored Links
I am certain this is not the case - I am sure of this because this is not set to constantly on with the set-up I did with Nest and is working fine now, and the hot water can be timed exactly the same as before. If you just replace the thermostat wires then it could be any thermostat connecting to the boiler, it’s still just switching live when it wants heating.

Maybe you do it differently.
well I just go with the manufacturer and see what they say, but you are probably right, the people that make it know nowt , you should give them a call and correct them , they too have it all wrong

Its semantics really but the water demand takes about 30 mins to heat the store and then obviously needs to stay on keep the store at temperature as the rads deplete it. I haven’t seen one of the horrors for months but think the horstman clock fitted by default works like gravity clock and turns the water side on with the heating demand. Certainly does no harm to keep water on constant as it’s not going to lose much heat unused overnight.

Its semantics really but the water demand takes about 30 mins to heat the store and then obviously needs to stay on keep the store at temperature as the rads deplete it. I haven’t seen one of the horrors for months but think the horstman clock fitted by default works like gravity clock and turns the water side on with the heating demand. Certainly does no harm to keep water on constant as it’s not going to lose much heat unused overnight.
The DHW on these circulates the store via a Plate heat exchanger when a DHW flow has been demanded, the store must be constantly on

Sponsored Links
The DHW on these circulates the store via a Plate heat exchanger when a DHW flow has been demanded, the store must be constantly on
This is true for all stores though, it would be a stupid pcb design that didn’t link the store pump with a heating demand otherwise you’d be pumping cold water, but my own memory could well be playing me up. I’m almost looking forward to seeing another!!

Ok, you say 'must' but why is there a physical switch giving the options of continuous, off and timed?

I understand that to get full 24/7 remote functionality of the hive thermostat the HW has to be constantly on, but however, if like me you don't want the boiler kicking in in the early hours of the morning waking the family up, there is the option to use the built in timer (which is what am I currently doing) for the HW in conjunction with schedule set on hive. Also, the gas usage for keeping the HW on constant was shocking.

Essentially, I've just replaced my room thermostat and kept my old timer configuration which has been the same for the past 13 years, but I got a free Echo Dot for my troubles.

Anyways....

I've found a configuration that works for me so thanks to everyone for the replies and all the help given!!

(y)

Last edited:
well I just go with the manufacturer and see what they say, but you are probably right, the people that make it know nowt , you should give them a call and correct them , they too have it all wrong

No needn’t to get sarcy :) the manual recommends that you set the hot water to ‘all day’ which isn’t constant. As I say I don’t see why this would be different if you’ve installed a Nest, Hive or one of those Honeywell mechanical things, if you’ve just replaced the thermostat side the hot water doesn’t need to be constant. But I agree with ollski, we might be just crossing semantics.

Anyhow hopefully the OP can prove it either way!

As I say I don’t see why this would be different if you’ve installed a Nest, Hive or one of those Honeywell mechanical things, if you’ve just replaced the thermostat side the hot water doesn’t need to be constant.

This^^^

Just said this in my above reply.

Recommended or not, setting the internal timer to control the HW in conjunction with the hive stat is working for me - Job done! (y)(y)(y)

looking forward to your next post when you want advice, because it is not working how you think it is, I love when people come on and ask for advice from professionals that give that advice free of charge and because it is not what they want to hear it must be wrong

looking forward to your next post when you want advice, because it is not working how you think it is, I love when people come on and ask for advice from professionals that give that advice free of charge and because it is not what they want to hear it must be wrong

No one said what your suggesting is wrong. Just that there are other configurations available on the boiler, which as it turns out is what I’ve been using for the past 13 years. With the only exception being I’ve changed from a Honeywell stat to a hive stat to control the CH.

Also, if the HW was meant to be on continuously, then why are there alternative options to program the HW times as detailed in the manual, it makes no sense?

To be fair though, if something does go wrong then this will be the first place I’ll post as the advice I’ve been given as resolved my initial query.

Once again, thanks to all that have replied (y)

Can anyone give me detailed instructions on how to install a hive 2 channel programmer to a powermax 155x and how to disconnect integral timer panel if necessary. A detailed wiring diagram would also be appreciated. Thankyou

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/hive-and-powermax155x.522723/#ixzz5nQGe1C00

Can't help you with the wiring install as BG installed mine, but I can tell you that you may still need the integral timer to work in conjunction with the Hive stat, i.e the hot water needs to be switched on at the boiler panel in some shape or form for the Hive stat to control the heating.

For example, I have my 155x set to 'All DAY' so it is governed by what I have set in my 7 day program. I have then set a schedule (in the hive app) based on the times set on the 155x.

Or, you can set the switch on the left hand side of the boiler to 'HOT WATER CONT' and forget about the timer. I chose the timer route as the boiler pump would tend to kick in late at night and wake the Wife up.

Hope this helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back