Powermax 155x Hot water but no central heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Hope someone can help. I had a look at a previous thread where someone else had the same problem that I did. Hot water but no central heating. I opened the boiler and thought the central heating pump may have seized or was not working. I loosened the screw on the left hand side pump ( as suggested) and water came out. I tightened it up again as I thought that would fix the problem. Now the boiler wont light up and I have no hot water or central heating. I did hold a pot under the screw when I opened it and about 15mls of water came out. could this be why its not working? if so how do I get the water back into it and the heating to work again? sorry for sounding daft but I'm new to all this and thought that I could fix it myself.
thanks in advance

Neil

Sponsored Links
Yes there is a gauge on the front of the boiler. I thought the pressure was low so I have opened the intake valve to allow more water in. After coming back home today I have noticed that the gauge on the front of the boiler ( think its a pressure valve) has fallen again.

Did you pressurise to about 1.5 bar and did it then work?

I dont think you are going to get very far with your boiler at this rate!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Tony

Pressure went to about 3 bars. Still got hot water but not central heating, the radiators are now Luke warm but still not all are hot. I can feel hot water at the base of the radiator pipes but it just doesn't seem to circulate right into the radiator. Think it might be the pump, have also turned the thermostat up but no change. Does the Powermax have internal thermostats also? Sorry I couldn't stay on to get a reply, keep getting called away!

hi neil
these are not a normal boiler as you know them, you need to get a powermax aware/trained engineer to check them over i look after plenty of these and there are certain things needed to be checked,tread carefully mate

Do not attempt to DIY repair a powermax! It's very important these are looked at/checked by a professional. This is coming from a Gas Safe engineer.

OP you seem to know very little about your boiler.

To see if the pump is rotating you need to look/feel inside the pump AFTER removing the big screw.

Look at the FAQ on this site to see all about that.

It could well be a seized pump and thats just about all a DIYer should be touching on that model.

Tony

Tony

thanks for the update, I wasn't going to do anything else but have a look and see if it was seized. Failing that and its all ok, do you know of any Engineers who are familiar with the Powermax models and can do home visits?

Thanks for the other comments to, much appreciated. And the same question goes out to them too.

Does the heating pump actually rotate ?.
Previous flat i had had one of these and heating would not work although hot water ok,turned out to be the programmer (if i remember the programmer was rather dim,just check for mains voltage at room thermostat,no mains voltage means no supply from programmer and then no mains power to heating pump)

yes i moved.

Just wanted to give everyone an update. Got a British gas engineer in who said that the internal thermostat in the boiler was not working properly along with another problem effecting the water pressure. Anyway, to cut the story short, I now have the heating working! Thanks to all for their comments. If it packs up again ill let you know!

Glad to hear its working again.

I was getting a little worried that you might be calling me.

Its not the boilers that bother me but the flues in voids where I have to make a judgement as to itys safety!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back