Powermax 155x

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if anyone can help. I have a powermax 155x boiler. It was looked at by british gas after it stopped working and was condemed as I was told it is now obselete and the parts I required are not available anymore.

I have been quoted very high prices for a replacment boiler due to having a long flu run out to pitched roof. Are there any boilers on the market that can use the same type of twin flu that is already in place or are there any companies that would look at repairing a powermax as most seem to run a mile when you mention powermax.

I am looking at the cheapest way to resolve this so I can sell the property.

Please help

Sponsored Links
These are problem boiler but Heat Team who are the manufacturer's service operation may be able to help.

If not then the only boiler with similar fluing capabilities is the Keston.

Unfortunately the Keston has serious reliability issues and would not be a recommendation unless its properly installed and you had a BG contract immediately the guarantee runs out.

Tony

When you say similar fluing capabilities are you saying it can use the same flu or that it is just capable of a long flu run.

I have seen that some of the Potterton boilers with storage appear to use a similar flu.

I am hoping there might be something on the market that can use the exising flu. I am not too worried about reliability. As long as it works during the sale of my property and passes any inspections the buyer may carry out.

Sponsored Links
I think you will find all flues are different, I have been to one of these, your not near St Albans are you ??
Trouble is the builders build the house around it, hide the flue in narrow pitched roofs and access is a nightmare.
You will be lucky if heateam ven give you the time of day, I take it the flue at the bottom is rotten ? that is what killed the guy in Oxford if I am not mistaken, BG went to court and got off,

regards

The powermax uses a 50mm aluminium twin tube flue. The Kestons also use 50mm twin but they are in plastic cheap tube.

So a Keston can always replace a Powermax because the permissible flue is more adaptive than the boiler its replacing.

The OP seems to be discussing a second/tenanted property which does not engender much sympathy. I discuss any problem with heating in a totally dispasionate way.

What I suggested before may give a way out of the problem but if not then a Keston is likely to be the only solution on physical terms.

Tony Glazier

Sorry to hear about the redundancy.

You may find it financially better to leave the existing boiler in place and give a purchaser a nominal reduction in price to cover the cost of a new boiler. Get a quotation from several installers then offer half the lowest as a reduction. Obviously you wouldn't agree to more than the lowest.

try heat team or an independant as all the parts just about are still available via parts center.

What parts are they saying are redundant ? BG may be telling you that in order to get a new boiler installation !

Engineers often say parts are redundant for Powermax boilers when they are not experienced enough in this particular boiler to repair them, its worth finding out what part is needed first, as many spares are still available for these boilers.

The engineer from british gas made a few visits. He replaced a pcb. He removed corroded baffles and had new ones to fit. Parts of the baffles fell down into the boiler so he removed a sump plate from the base of boiler to remove debris. In doing this the metal flange was damaged so I was told he could not refit the sump plate with a good seal and it would require a whole new storage tank complete.

Does this make sense?

seems like a new boiler is required as a metal flange is damaged.
seems someone has damaged it as they are not suplied damaged.
can they corrode to a damaged state,i do not know.
is this the metal flange that the sump pushes on to,let us know,please.
dont give up yet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back