powermax nightmare

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:( had b g out this afternoon condemed my boiler powermax 155x because could not get part which is p144. it is something to do with the pipe that goes out of boiler to outside wall. he says it is very dangerous got no heating or hot water . coming back tomorrow to price a new boiler tomorrow. seems a awful lot to pay when its just a part discontinued. any advice

Sponsored Links
call baxi/potterton, they are the makers and will fix it for you. BG are a load of salesmen on commission who can't be trusted!

What? a standard 3bar pressure relief valve (P104) is easily substituted. P144 is a trim on my diagram.

he phoned them it was them that informed him that the part is discontinued. he showed me the part thats needed it looks like awatse pipe . on his picture it send p144. :(

Sponsored Links
any chance of a photo of the corroded part,ok does not have to be a david bailey photo but more information helps all the guys here.
is this is just external corrosion or has the engineer done further tests to back up his visual inspection.
maybe the unit needs to be removed to carry out a further test on its condition,as this is an unusal unit i would ask your contract supplier to carry out this work at their expense.
good luck.

there was a recent safety notice on the powermax ragarding the flue outlet elbow. yes it is obsolete and tbh you are safer dumping the powemax anyway.

call baxi/potterton, they are the makers and will fix it for you. BG are a load of salesmen on commission who can't be trusted!

i think all engineers are liars, the bloody lot of them. just seen rogue traders so not trusting anyone any more ;) i've just noticed you also lie ;)

baxi/potterton have pretty much wiped their hands of the old powermax, some parts have been unavailable for a little while now and the boiler only ceased production about 5 years ago!!!

the powermax is a badly designed boiler, why put the flue outlet on the back and make it only a push fit. it's prone to corrode and is probably impossible to replace without removing the entire boiler, that would be if the part was even available. in the diagram it looks like a waste pipe on the back right of the boiler.

the powermax is a badly designed boiler, why put the flue outlet on the back and make it only a push fit. it's prone to corrode and is probably impossible to replace without removing the entire boiler, that would be if the part was even available. in the diagram it looks like a waste pipe on the back right of the boiler.

thats an understatement.... along with kestons, sadly i think we'' see more fatalities from the boilers

Pardon the naive question, but how do gas boilers qualify to be sold to the public? Is there any type approval testing that manufacturer's face?

If there is, then how does an abomination like the Powermax that people are denigrating reach the market?

And if there isn't, then why isn't there?

And either way, what on Earth is the HSE thinking of?

thanks dangermouse phoned them as you suggested they do have the part and are coming out tomorrow. let you know outcome. its costing us 300 over 6 months . 50 a month which is a big differance than what bg wanted for newboiler 3,000. :eek:

p144 is a plastic bezel !!!

P144 Bezel Plastic 1 [not avaiable]

Replaced with :

P729 BEZEL 1
P670 Bezel Plastic c/w 157 Logo

Why would this be a safety issue :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back