PP Declined - Overly Dominant Extension Vs Local Plan policy - Appeal?

Sponsored Links
If you want to fight for the design rather than make concessions to satisfy the council, then just bang an appeal in. Put your case in writing and submit it- there is no fee for appeals, you can submit online, and you will get a decision in around 8 weeks.

The application hasnt been refused yet, but will be on Friday 13th...

I have a dilema now as Wessex makes a good point. Ive not provided additional argument to the original application as Case officer only responded on Monday after 7 weeks.. Should I withdraw the app so no decision is made and re-group and resubmit with a more comprehensive argument.... Or do what Napoleon suggests and just appeal the refusal when it happens?

My argument is that the extension does not dominate the original property

And that is your problem.

As a lay person you do not have the knowledge and experience of planning and design concepts. As the applicant, your subjectivity is biased. That's not a criticism, but merely how it is.

You will find that there is a plethora of supporting information to back up subserviency as a concept - in terms of planning and architectural concepts and precedent appeal decisions. And you will need to be aware of these in order to justify your contention that the design is in fact subservient and policy compliant.

You won't have anything to lose by appealing a refusal. But be careful not to fall into the trap of advancing common layperson arguments of subserviency, instead of those of planning and design concepts.

Sponsored Links
Planning authorities don't like setting precedents. You might want to look around the area and demonstrate that to grant what you want doesn't set a precedent. If you don't find any, I suspect you will struggle.

If it was me, I'd probably try to get planning for the largest thing I can get, and then take a view on whether to submit and appeal something even larger

My tuppence worth.....

My own extension was approved, without a set-back/lowered ridge because mine is the end house in a row. To the side of my house (with the extension) is open space.

The application hasnt been refused yet, but will be on Friday 13th...

I have a dilema now as Wessex makes a good point. Ive not provided additional argument to the original application as Case officer only responded on Monday after 7 weeks.. Should I withdraw the app so no decision is made and re-group and resubmit with a more comprehensive argument.... Or do what Napoleon suggests and just appeal the refusal when it happens?

Well if you take this application to appeal without any supporting information how it complies with the policy I wouldn't like to rate your chances of success. Then what are you going to do? You've got a planning refusal and a failed appeal so you just resubmit the exact same application with a bit more waffle to justify the extension isn't overly dominant? Good luck with that strategy.

Well if you take this application to appeal without any supporting information how it complies with the policy I wouldn't like to rate your chances of success. Then what are you going to do? You've got a planning refusal and a failed appeal so you just resubmit the exact same application with a bit more waffle to justify the extension isn't overly dominant? Good luck with that strategy.

I didn't say I wasn't going to take it to appeal without additional information; that would be stupid. I assumed as part of the appeal process I could provide that information at that time, rather than now at the planning application phase as they are about to slam the door on me...

I didn't say I wasn't going to take it to appeal without additional information; that would be stupid. I assumed as part of the appeal process I could provide that information at that time, rather than now at the planning application phase as they are about to slam the door on me...

Well I still think your argument has merit.

Just make sure you have expressed your argument clearly and have all your evidence in the application. Otherwise withdraw application and resubmit with all your statements and evidence added otherwise it wont be considered at the appeal. (using back up laptop with dodgy keyboard so kept it brief)

I've just re-read your post #13 Wessex... You are of the opinion that unless the additional information is presented on the original application, you don't have the opportunity at appeal to provide it? That seems harsh.

I didn't really make it clear, you outline your reasons in your appeal statement which can include some limited additional information. As this case is just down to interpretation of a planning policy that may be all you need. Just not the way I would do it but that is just personal preference.

You can't add extra detail or bring new information into the appeal. It is purely based on the application, the information provided, and the planners report and interpretaion of policy.

It's an appeal on the planners decision - which could only have been based on whatever information he had from the applicant, a site visit and what was available from the local policy and national planning policy/law.

Well a lot can happen in 24 hours! Ive learnt a lot in this thread and hope others do as well. The update today is that after i asked the Case officer to send me the previous local plan and policies relating to domestic extensions, as there had been "material" changes in planning policy, he did so and there were no material changes....... As i said earlier, at least 3 house extensions were approved under the previous local plan as compliant with policy (same design as ours) even though they werent necessarily subservient; i was told the new plan applied to me and precedent didnt apply. Long story short, planning officer did a 180 deg u turn today and will accept our original plan with a minor change. No step down/back. I think he knew it would be marginal at appeal.

Thanks to all that read and contibiuted especially Woody and Wessex. I am happy!

Actually you can provide additional information at appeal - but it's at the discretion of the inspector to consider it, so not a great strategy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back